What is the best way to light a bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am often asked to fit downlighters in bathrooms and on most occasions I am able to resist and just fit my preferred lighting solution which is one of these Circular Light .

But I find that many people for some reason still want the downlights as they "look modern". I would like to offer more solutions, but I have run out of ideas.

Any suggestions are welcome, especially if you can put in a link.

Sponsored Links
Hi Martin

The fittings in bathrooms are covered by IP codes.

Then on domestic work, you are supposed to issue a Minor Electrical Work Certificate.

If you don't know what these are, you are takeing a big risk by working on this stuff.

Regards.

Mike

I am often asked to fit downlighters in bathrooms and on most occasions I am able to resist and just fit my preferred lighting solution which is one of these Circular Light .

But I find that many people for some reason still want the downlights as they "look modern". I would like to offer more solutions, but I have run out of ideas.

Then on domestic work, you are supposed to issue a Minor Electrical Work Certificate.

If you don't know what these are, you are takeing a big risk by working on this stuff.

99229.jpg

Martin's link - IP44
You could fit it behind the bath taps if you promise not to splash it.

minor_elecsa.JPG

MWEIC

There - now Martin knows. :rolleyes:

Martin - I'm with you regarding downlights but I don't have an answer either.

Hi Martin

Regards.

Mike

Do you always go round making unfounded assumptions?

PS you forgot to mention that the bathroom is a special location and therefore work should be notified to the BCO.

Sponsored Links
He (others) also haven't mentioned that all circuits in the bathroom should now be RCD protected, and that you cannot have a socket outlet closer than 3metres from the shower/bath.

But I am guessing he did not think that you needed to be told that, given YOUR level of competence.

Or do you want all your topics answered like you are a just starting out DIYer?

I am often asked to fit downlighters in bathrooms

But I find that many people for some reason still want the downlights as they "look modern".
There is not getting away with from it, they a liked and as technology moves on and LED lighting and colour changing mood light developments they will continue to be a proffered choice by the house holder.
I only wish the manufacturers took some consideration in to what the installer has to do to fit the bl00dy things!
I would like to offer more solutions, but I have run out of ideas.
A few ideas

or even some wall lighting or led colour changing strips can bring a bit of ambience in to the room.

People are addicted to them.

I try to point out that they are unreliable, dangerous and fantastically inefficient.

Plus a pain to fit, but to no avail.

The jobs where people are sticking to their guns are the jobs that I mostly don't win.

I just wish there was another way...

Those lights above are in my catalogs but never seem to win the day.

I just wondered if there was something out there that I have overlooked?

If people want downlighters, let them have them.

Suggest installing halers LED downlighters.

They are safe, fantastically efficient and look great too.

If people want downlighters, let them have them.

Suggest installing halers LED downlighters.

They are safe, fantastically efficient and look great too.

Concur.

While we can advise on things, trying to 'talk a customer out of them' is plain wrong! Just because you don't like them doesn't mean others feel the same. Personal taste is just that!

While we can advise on things, trying to 'talk a customer out of them' is plain wrong! Just because you don't like them doesn't mean others feel the same. Personal taste is just that!
Nothing wrong with advising that they are inefficient, and that there are practical problems concerning their use in bathrooms.

I hate those round bathroom lights. How do you stop them collecting insects?

Don't much like downlighters either, but they're unobtrusive and can make a bathroom look a bit like a modern hotel (I blame hotels for a lot when it comes to bathrooms)

I've got hundreds of down lighters in our kitchen installed by the previous owners and I can't abide them. In a 16th century cottage they look ridiculous, but they're as annoying to strip out as they are install.

Isn't this just one of those cases where the customer is right, and subject to pointing out that they're inefficient, a bit crap at their designated role, and potentially dangerous, just fit them and charge whatever premium the extra workload actually costs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back