What is the best way to remove the dried mortar from tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

For reasons too painful to go into here we are having to have a newly constructed and tiled floor taken up and redone. The floor was tiled by the builder we contracted and he states that it is possible to salvage and reuse the tiles by removing the mortar. He said he doesn't expect to be able to save all the tiles but salvaging some is possible. Not wishing to leave anything to chance, and not being trustful of the builder who is trying to cut corners (as he is to blame for this sorry state of affairs) I am investigating what the best way to do this is. Any suggestions? His method involves soaking and scraping off the dry mortar.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
It’s more likely to be cement based tile adhesive than mortar (hopefully) & assuming he’s not used tub readymix which isn’t suitable for floors anyway. Like mortar, cement based tile adhesive is waterproof, it will absorb water, but it has a zero or limited effect in breaking it down but it depends on the quality of the addy, weather it was correct for the application & how long it’s had to cure. It rather depends on how well the adhesive is stuck to the tiles but, under normal circumstances & correctly applied, it should be like the proverbial to a blanket. Assuming he can get the tiles up off the floor (what’s the floor?) it’s going to be very time consuming but there is nothing wrong with reclaiming & reusing tiles as long as he gets all the adhesive off & doesn’t damage/scratch the tile edges/surface so check the reclaimed ones carefully. Assuming he will need more tiles, there could be a problem of colour match between the old & new if they are from a different batch number; unless he has some from the original batch.

I’m curious as to what exactly the problem is that he has to take up the tiles :?:

Thanks for the advice. I will find out the exact materials.

We had a new extension built. Until we pull up the floor we will not know for sure why the floor is unlevel but it seems clear it will be because the slab is not level. I wish that was all that was wrong with the job but we have a long long list of things they ballsed up on. We were almost at the point of taking legal action but the builder finally crawled out and spoke to us. Seems he was frightened of the cost of remedial work. No other builder will touch it and the legal route is very expensive so we have to stick with him to do it.

Some people we speak to have theories on why the floor is not level:
-The cement was not given time to set
-the underfloor heating has warped the material

But these have been by people who haven't looked at it and if you see the floor the above theories can't be the problem.

Some of the other issues we have had are:
-A wall not being at 90degrees with another
-£850 worth of glass splashbacks being chipped and scratched
-Tiling done to an appalling standard.
-Tiling sealed badly so the tilers footprint is seen and seems impossible to get off.

It has been a hellish experience and I'm asking about the tiles here as I just don't trust or believe the builder now.

The one advantage we have in this over living somewhere like UK is that we live in the channel islands and the builders reputation will be ruined unless he sorts this out.

My commiserations; assuming the CI civil law is the same as here, to stand much chance in litigation (if it comes to that), you must give “Bob the Builder” the chance to put things right. Anyone can make mistakes & sometimes things turn out to be less than the “perfect” they should but it’s important you put it right if you have & want to maintain any sort of reputation for quality. Obviously I don’t know him but, unfortunately, the chances are if he messed up (rather dramatically from what you’ve said) the first time around, he’s unlikely to be much better on the second attempt unless he gets someone else in. Keep your eye on it if he’s doing a repeat performance & don’t be frightened to cut your losses & call a halt if it’s not going well, you will have met your legal obligations to him. Record everything & calling on some professional advice/assistance at this stage may be of benefit if you want to legally pursue it.

Completely irrelevant but I worked for Jersey/Guernsey Post for around 2 years in the 90’s (a previous life) & commuted on a weekly basis would you believe; in the winter months as well. I helped introduce the postcode system & advised/installed modern sorting equipment in both sorting centres. I’ve not been back to the CI since but have many fond memories of both & the outlying islands.

Sponsored Links
what size and type off tiles are fixed to the floor??...

imo if he has used a bagged adhesive,then the chances of "re-claiming"..any.. are VERY slim...

My commiserations; assuming the CI civil law is the same as here, to stand much chance in litigation (if it comes to that), you must give “Bob the Builder” the chance to put things right. Anyone can make mistakes & sometimes things turn out to be less than the “perfect” they should but it’s important you put it right if you have & want to maintain any sort of reputation for quality. Obviously I don’t know him but, unfortunately, the chances are if he messed up (rather dramatically from what you’ve said) the first time around, he’s unlikely to be much better on the second attempt unless he gets someone else in. Keep your eye on it if he’s doing a repeat performance & don’t be frightened to cut your losses & call a halt if it’s not going well, you will have met your legal obligations to him. Record everything & calling on some professional advice/assistance at this stage may be of benefit if you want to legally pursue it.

Completely irrelevant but I worked for Jersey/Guernsey Post for around 2 years in the 90’s (a previous life) & commuted on a weekly basis would you believe; in the winter months as well. I helped introduce the postcode system & advised/installed modern sorting equipment in both sorting centres. I’ve not been back to the CI since but have many fond memories of both & the outlying islands.

Thanks for the advice. We have already considered all of what you have said, for instance we threatened going down the legal route and our legal champion would be the one that all the other legal people are terrified of! So its either he corrects it our the other option is a hell of a lot worse.

Luckily the builder has not washed his hands of the affair and he may be the worlds best actor but he looked devastated that the job had gone so badly. I've never seen a grown man look so shame faced. But then again he didn't contact us for weeks and had us sitting at home not knowing what was going on.

We are trying to use him as little as possible and the tiler will be one of our choosing this time around. We are drafting new agreements as well and trying to make it as water tight as possible. If the tiles are not salvageable then we are insisting on the final work being as high a standard as if it was new.

My list of the things that went wrong was just the start of it. The tiling has been done so badly in the bathroom and sealed really badly so its left marks on the tiles. It has really broken us over the past few months. To have looked forward to this and have our trust trampled on. But we need to protect ourselves to the hilt and that is worth spending some cash on.

Interestingly the kitchen we bought from a local company has been a massive hassle as well. The local companies accounting practice is appalling. We had to go through their reconciliation with a fine comb to work out that they owed us £300+. And the plumber scratched glass in the bathroom so we are having to pursue that with their bosses. On principal we buy locally but from this experience we will think twice about doing that again. Although the stuff we did buy from off island was a major hassle as well. We waited 4 months for lights to arrive and ordered induction hob pans with a handle that hasn't been fixed properly. And the sink doesn't hold water for more than 5 mins either.

As you can see. This hasn't been the best time!

Interesting to hear you worked in the Channel Islands!

In “that” life I worked worldwide, mainly the far east; the CI wasn’t the most technically demanding but, in all honesty, was one of the most hospitable & enjoyable work experience of all. ;)

In “that” life I worked worldwide, mainly the far east; the CI wasn’t the most technically demanding but, in all honesty, was one of the most hospitable & enjoyable work experience of all. ;)

I've lived here for 14 years and its a great place to live and raise kids. Its very easy for people to get involved in any manner of things, sailing, sport, arty stuff. Contrary to what people might expect there is a great deal to do! No I don't work for the tourist board!

Sorry for getting off tack a bit here but I do know another “GUY” (user name) in Jersey & am now just sticking my nose in; out of interest really. I know the score out there & with only 14 years, are you resident, working (as I was) or just totally loaded :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back