What is the difference between mortar and render?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some repairs to do in my house - some blocks need pointing and also some internal rendering needs fixing.

As far as I can work out mortar between blocks and bricks is 3:1 or 4:1 sand and cement with plasticiser

Render is also the same as far as I can work out.

So can I make one mixture and fill in blockwork joints and also render repairs?

Sponsored Links
I have some repairs to do in my house - some blocks need pointing and also some internal rendering needs fixing.

As far as I can work out mortar between blocks and bricks is 3:1 or 4:1 sand and cement with plasticiser

So can I make one mixture and fill in blockwork joints and also render repairs?

Mortar is used for rendering and rendering is using the mortar.
Simples.

Similar, yes. Whilst it may be possible to use a render mix as brick-laying, pointing etc, it may not be possible to use a brick-laying mortar for rendering.

It's all about the type of sand and the additives within both styles of mortar which makes them more suitable for their given applications.

Some brick-laying mortars for instance would be useless as a render because they would shrink and crack or craze within hours of being slapped on a wall.

Similarly some renders would not be fatty enough for bricklaying, i.e. lifeless pug and would end up sliding off the trowel.

I would say that as long as it was a home made render i.e. sand/cement/lime/plasticiser etc, then this could be used as a mortar. Some of the manufactured coloured renders (monocouche, k-rend etc) however would not be suitable.

Hi

What would be your recommended mix for brick layign mortar and render?

In my situation I would probably knock up some render. Preusmably if bits of render have fall off I can just trowel some new into the gaps (it should hold).

Sponsored Links
Me personally always use Holm sand 4:1 with a waterproofer which is also a plasticizer, only problem doing render with two coats with waterproofer is the second coat takes a while longer to dry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back