What is this behind my Fireplace?

Sponsored Links
just be aware it may contain asbestos.
an application of diluted PVA would be advised ;)

was it not dick whittington who later went on to be mayor?

The story of Dick Whittington indeed said he went to London where the streets were said to be paved with gold. But its become distorted over time because he was the son of a very wealthy man!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Ok chaps - an update!

We got someone round to take a look yesterday - really nice bloke, fireplace installer.

He said its a solid fuel burner... as already found out above. He said there's no need for a lintel to be put in.

He said he didn't really want to do the job but would if we wanted him to. He quoted £150 to get it all out and get rid of it which sounded very reasonable to me.

He also advised that it will make one hell of a mess so it's best to decide on the size of what's going in there before removal as it may need some extra adjustment and it might as well be all done at the same time.

He said it didn't need a lintel as there were no signs of any cracking.

What would you guys advise based on that? (I appreciate your time fellas)

Gallen.

Should have updated this a while ago...!

It was easy to take out - The pipes had already been disconnected which probably contributed to the smashed brickwork - Cowboys!

It lifted out fairly easily.

Once removed, a friend of a friend put in the lintle for about £100 including the lintle.

Once that was set, he then chopped out the excess brickwork and tidied up the remaining brickwork, making the opening wider:

Pic 1 was existing decoration - Elton John would have been proud of it!
- When we bought the house, most of the stuff in this picture came with it! (apart from the ornaments!!!) - Soon was eBayed or skipped.

Fireplace.jpg

I tidied up under the floor, adding a brick mid-support for boards. This wasn't absolutely essential but neatens things up (even though you don't see it). I removed a load of builders rubbish and old cement that had previously been discarded at the foot of the fire.

I installed the metal gatherer and the framework for the Gas Fire. This was an absolute nightmare, fixing this in place and I had to get into shapes that I didn't think my spine could! The worse part was cementing around the top of the gatherer to seal it to the clay chimney liner. Wet concrete and gravity don't mix and I had untold face-fulls of slop fall back on to me, whilst my torso was inside this metal box looking up the chimney! Nasty job, wouldn't want to repeat.

da0a3324.jpg

I extended the sides of the chimney stack by approx 2 inches, by dry-lining it and boarding it prior to having the room skimmed. This conceals the hot-water pipes that form part of the central heating loop.

A Corgi-registered friend installed the gas pipework and we connected up the fire.

After the room was plastered, prepped and painted we fitted the granite and chrome trims.

The fire looks great - A vast improvement from original starting point and lots learned!

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back