What is this bit for on my bandsaw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the L shaped metal rod for on this mitre gauge. I have two bandsaws and both have them and done a search and can't find what they are actually for. Help!

Attachments

• IMG_20221003_192952_997.jpg
    IMG_20221003_192952_997.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
I don't know what it's called but it looks like a guide to make sure the piece to be cut gets cuts the same size all the way along its length.
Like the depth guage on a drill.
Edit; it's called a back stop rod.

Last edited:
allows you to cut at an angle
hold the work to the guide and slide the guide

Reactions: SFK
As big all says.
Set it to say 45deg, put length of wood on it. Ans slide it and the wood forwards into blade to make angled end on wood.
I could not find an good image of it in use, but this is close.

Sponsored Links
The L-shaped piece is a length stop to allow you to make repetitive identicsal cuts to length.

TBH, if you have a properly set-up mitre saw a mitre fence on your bandsaw is almost as much use as a bicycle would be to a fish...

Thx Job and Knock as DOH .. that was me not reading the question properly. I have never used the L (not sure I still have it) as always used the Fence as an end stop when I have had lots of identical lengths to make.

TBH I doubt that I've used a mitre fence on a band saw more than a few times. I can't recall any of the big industrial saws I've used even having a mitre slot

Agree, I have only used when I had to produce lots and lots of identical parts.

Best tools for the job: a chopsaw with a back fence and a fixed stop and an apprentice!

:)
Guess what sits near to bandsaw (not an apprentice).

Thinking back I think it was Dowel lengths that I cut with bandsaw. Had a job that needed lots with specific length.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back