What is this bulb and why do I have them?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house was built in 2007 and all light fixings are bayonet. Apart from 2.

The hall and the landing. Which both have these weird fixings for weird bulbs I've never seen before. When they turn on, they come on like energy saving bulbs. As I'm replacing many of my lights with LED bulbs, I wanted to find out why I have these before replacing the fixings, just in case they are some kind of special type that have a safety/purpose etc. Any ideas?

Attachments

• DSC_0156.JPG
    DSC_0156.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 248
  • DSC_0157.JPG
    DSC_0157.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 210
  • DSC_0158.JPG
    DSC_0158.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 199
Sponsored Links
It is a folded fluorescent lamp with the control gear remote from the tube. They were used to comply with one of the parts of building regulations think it was Part L2 so often called after that regulations so you can get a GU10L2 which will only take LED bulbs for example. In theroy they should be better than the B22d folded fluorescent but in practice so few are made that they often cost more rather than less.

Most people swap them as soon as they move in.

They are energy saving bulbs.

They were fitted to ensure you save energy - to prevent you fitting incandescent ones.

Ah ok, so there's no issue with me replacing the rose with a normal type for LED then.
I found it strange how they were only fitted in the hall and landing - I mean the whole house is weird stupid but I wasn't sure if they were used as some kind of safety feature

Sponsored Links
No, the electrician was just being kind and putting them in areas where you wouldn't use/see the awful things much. He could have put them in the lounge and bedrooms...

Part L (energy use / saving) at the time was interpreted to mean that in new builds, a certain number of fittings must be for low energy lamps only. The two usual suspects were the type you have or an evil bayonet cap which looked standard but had 3 side pins instead of 2.
The lamps for the 3 pin bayonet deals were ridiculously expensive (£10+ each) assuming you could even find them, the type you have less so but still not something you will find in every shop.
Both have the useless features of taking minutes to reach full brightness, and don't last long when switched often.

In the end it was all a total waste of time, as they were usually fitted in hallways, cupboards, garages and similar places where they would be used for very short periods or never.

Given that the rules changed shortly afterwards, incandescent lamps are ancient history and LED equivalents can be had for a couple of pounds each, just change them all for standard pendants and fit LED lamps in there.

If they think tungsten filament lamps are inefficient, I've got a rather old carbon filament lamp in one fitting...

Just swapped them out, turned out even easier than planned. Thanks for all the help :)

The two usual suspects were the type you have or an evil bayonet cap which looked standard but had 3 side pins instead of 2.
The lamps for the 3 pin bayonet deals were ridiculously expensive (£10+ each) assuming you could even find them

Oh my god yes, exactly that. I don't know who put the lights in this house, but they are missing light placements or have them placed in stupid places.
This is my kitchen, at one end on one switch you have a row of 4 GU10's. Then a second switch for this teal one off center which is the 3 pin bayonet!! and then behind that off center is a 2 pin bayonet on the same switch. Ridiculous!

The bedroom upstairs is a mirror of the kitchen, but with 1 light fitting so half the room is in darkness. That's not so bad because I have loft access and will fix that easy enough. Mad though

Attachments

• DSC_0163.JPG
    DSC_0163.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 128

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back