What is this decorative eaves called?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Could someone please tell me what the decorative eaves thing is called in this picture. Is it quite expensive to have if I am renovating my property. Does it need to be shown on my front elevation plans for planning permission?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Frank, I think you are right.

Does that style only go with certain period houses and does it require planning approval do you know?

Sponsored Links
Is that actually soffits, or facia or something else that is the decorative part?

It does look quite pretty and all the more better if doesn't require planning permission as our architect has already submitted plans.

Would anyone agree that such decoration is more in tune with certain style of period houses i.e. Georgian or Victorian rather than any old detached?

The original justification for having deep- and widely-projecting eaves was so as to form a wide, lead-lined gutter. They were therefore particularly appropriate for large late eighteenth and nineteenth century houses.

But when these features are combined with conventional half-round gutters, as in the pic, they become superfluous.

The original justification for having deep- and widely-projecting eaves was so as to form a wide, lead-lined gutter. They were therefore particularly appropriate for large late eighteenth and nineteenth century houses.

But when these features are combined with conventional half-round gutters, as in the pic, they become superfluous.
But your original post was correct though tony! ;)

That pretty picture is a repro Queen Anne style so its more or less in keeping with a high status building. Around here in Wensleydale, they were fitted to carry wooden half round gutters. Just blocks of limestone on edge sticking out of the wall, - not very high status buildings!, just up from no gutters. I guess they disappeared when cheap Victorian cast gutters were available.
They were probablely derived by carving the ends of the purlins in Elizabethan times, then later, just added as a bit of bling.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back