What is this flooring and can I tile on it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've now ripped out most of my old bathroom including the old floor covering and found that the room has fairly large floor panels.

The only problem is that I can't figure out what it is made of other than it's some kind of manufactured wood boarding with a green covering on so I'm after some advice firstly in what it's likely to be and secondly can I tile on it or will it need over-boarding?

Sponsored Links
firstly in what it's likely to be
Almost certainly moisture resistant chip (crap) board.

secondly can I tile on it
Not if you want the tiles to last & that’s assuming you could get them to stick to it; chipboard is the worst possible tile base you could imagine.

or will it need over-boarding?
As an absolute minimum but I wont overboard chipboard for a tile base. I would advise you rip it up & replace with WBP ply 18-25mm depending on your floor joist size/pitch/span.

Tiling isn’t rocket science but there are still many things that can catch you out & suspended timber floors need special consideration; walls can also catch you out with tile weights, prep & materials. I would advise you read the Tiling Sticky & Forum Archive posts before doing any work or buying materials, it could prevent you making disastrous & potentially expensive mistakes. You can post more info on here for step-by-step advice once you decide the type & size tiles you will be laying

It’s important to use only quality trade tilling materials of the correct type for your tiles & tile base; cheapo own brand & DIY stuff is mostly crap.

Thanks, had a feeling it would be chipboard so I realise I'm unable to tile on it.
I'll look at the replacement option first but if not can I get away with overboarding with 6mm or 9mm WBP as I'm trying to avoid there being too much of a height difference between the en-suite floor and the bedroom floor.

Would do you think about the BAL adhesives? I've used them in the past and seem to be quite good.

I'll look at the replacement option first
That’s what I would do & advise. The recommended British Standard for a WBP tile base is 25mm but you can get away with less & in most cases 18 or 22mm is sufficient in a bathroom but it depends on your floor construction. I always prefer to replace in these circumstances as it guarantees the tile base & will keep threshold heights manageable, something you won’t do with over boarding chip & give a suitably rigid tile base.

but if not can I get away with overboarding with 6mm or 9mm WBP as I'm trying to avoid there being too much of a height difference between the en-suite floor and the bedroom floor.
That’s not thick enough; the BS & all adhesive manufacturers I know of recommend 15mm WBP min for over boarding but in most cases 12mm is sufficient; but that’s the minimum you should consider. But, as I said previously, I personally won’t overboard chipboard, its total crap as a flooring material let alone a tile base.

Would do you think about the BAL adhesives? I've used them in the past and seem to be quite good.
I use BAL products exclusively because I know & trust them & can predict how they behave but there are other quality trade tiling materials equally as good; Webber, Ardex, Mapei (but not the one in BnQ) + others. If you use & take advice from your local trade tile outlet you won’t go far wrong; avoid the large DIY sheds & the stuff they sell, it’s mostly cheap crap & all too often leads to tears. But as with any products, you have to use the right ones for your tiles & the application.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back