What is this? Home Automation PCB but can you identify it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The photo attached is of a PCB that is an enclosed outdoor box that I think is part of some lighting outside our front gates.
The box has a "Home Automation" logo on it and a red, semi-transparent cover.
The PCB inside is labelled "PCB 019D".

As you can see, some insects/dirt has got inside the box and as potentially caused a short circuit. It has caused the RCD to trip and the lights no longer go on. They are normally switch on automatically when they get dark - so is this some kind of light sensor?

What I don't really know is what this circuit is designed to do, who manufactured it and where I could get a replacement.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
They are normally switch on automatically when they get dark - so is this some kind of light sensor?

Yes. There's a photoresistor between the two caps at the bottom right.

Have you cleaned it all out properly and tried it without contamination?

Sponsored Links
It is a light sensitive device, probable a dusk sensor.

The clue in the device with inter-leaved gold fingers which is a light sensor, Probably an ORP type light sensitive resistor

The earth terminal should be connected.

EDIT do not answer phone while typing a reply

Thanks everyone

Unfortunately it's not working when dry and clean, so I will follow the advice and get a new one

doesn't that cable have an earth?
It looks as if it's probably been been snipped off :rolleyes: . Although there should (per regs) be a CPC going to it (and terminated somehow/somewhere), I'm a little surprised that the PCB needs it - unless, I suppose, there are some filter components there.

Kind Regards, John

If the unit was saturated with water then it would present the hazard of electric shock both from the unit and any damp surface it was fitted to.

The Earth connection would ( hopefully ) allow earth fault current to flow from a damp PCB and thus trip the RCD before the unit became wet enough to be a hazardous when touched.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back