what is this in my campervan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
sorry for the thicko question....I don't do electrics if I can help it. is it an rcbo? in other words does my campervan have rcd protection?

IMG_20230305_105638.jpg

Sponsored Links
I think it is a RCBO but it's hard to be 100% certain because when I google the part number all the results seem to be in Italian.

I found a page on the Manufacturers website for what looks like a newer version of the same device and google translates the description to "Differential magnetothermal switch BTDIN60 1P+N type A - In= 16A - Idn= 0.03A" That sounds like a RCBO to me.

The numbers and diagrams on the front of the unit also seem consistent with a RCBO.

The RCD component seems to be type AC, which is not compliant to the latest amendment of BS7671.

I think its an RCBO too.

For me, the giveaway is the C16 - suggesting a 16A over current trip rating device with a type 'C' tripping curve.

If it were just an RCD , there would be no need for the C in front of the 16

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes its on the incoming mains hookup. Yes its an italian campervan. Is it safe, though, or should I replace it with a more modern one (the van is 18 years old and fitted out in Italy)

Thanks to all

Safe, yes. There should be another RCD/RCBO at the hook up point you plug into, on the site.

Safe, if it has been tested to confirm that it works to the required specification.
The test button, on the front, is a very basic function that just checks that the RCD mechanically operates. Get it tested by an electrician if you are at all concerned.

I think its an RCBO too. For me, the giveaway is the C16 - suggesting a 16A over current trip rating device with a type 'C' tripping curve. If it were juts an RCD , there would be no need for the C in front of the 16
True - but, more to the point, it would not say "IΔn = 0.03A" !

It's clearly a 16A RCBO with a 'C' over-current curve and a 30mA residual current tripping threshold.

Kind Regards, John

True - but, more to the point, it would not say "IΔn = 0.03A" !

???? Why would it not say "IΔn = 0.03A" ?? That's the differential trip rating of 30mA. Surely if it where just an RCD it would only give a "IΔn" rating.

???? Why would it not say "IΔn = 0.03A" ?? That's the differential trip rating of 30mA. Surely if it where just an RCD it would only give a "IΔn" rating.
Sorry, I thought that, since you said the 'giveaway' was the "C16", I thought you were implying that it might just be an MCB - but, on re-reading what you wrote, I see that wasn't the case.

As we are agreed, the reference to IΔn obviously means that it is a residual current device of some sort, whether what we normally call "an RCD" or an RCBO (which is also 'an RCD' :) ).

Whatever, as I said before, I think we both are sure that it's an RCBO - which is what matters to the OP.

Kind Regards, John

Is it safe, though, or should I replace it with a more modern one (the van is 18 years old and fitted out in Italy)
It's a Type AC, which has been obsolete since last year as far as the UK is concerned, and a couple of decades for most other countries.
Replacement with a Type A should be considered.

No? ....

Kind Regards, John
Aaah, missed that.
Sorry Plugwash.

I think I was mainly questioning the uncertainty, when the pictogram shows the overload protection on the live, and the differential detection around live and neutral.

Aaah, missed that. Sorry Plugwash.
No problem - we all miss lots of things!
I think I was mainly questioning the uncertainty, when the pictogram shows the overload protection on the live, and the differential detection around live and neutral.
Quite so. As should have been apparent from what I wrote, I, for one, never had any 'uncertainty' for you to question. As plugwash said, either the markings or the 'pictogram' were enough to create 'certainty'- at least in my mind!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back