What is this old pipe and can I get rid of it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got this obsolete and unsightly pipe that comes out of the landing floor, across the wall and into the landing cupboard.

I'm assuming this is a water pipe and not gas although being ignorant in these matters I'm not 100% sure but I'm sure your good selves can kindly tell me judging by the photo.

I actually want to get rid of this pipe by cutting it at the point where it comes out of the floor. I'm in a flat on the second floor and this pipe runs down into the communal first floor landing and into the ground floor flat. I don't think any of this pipe branches off to anywhere else so I'm only assuming at this point that it's part of an old system that's no longer in use.

If I can cut this pipe, what do I use to put another stop on the new end? It looks like old lead piping.

Thanks and hope you can help.
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Excellent, I'm glad it's gas, less messy!

Not sure if you'd be able to tell from the photos but would you know what items I'd need to make a new end stop? Would I need to do some soldering?
Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
You need to call NG (transco) or equivalent for your area it is a service pipe and may still be connected with live gas a standard rgi cannot touch this legally

Thanks very much for all your advice, I really appreciate it.

I have checked the gas pipe that runs from my own meter and can confirm it's not connected to this old pipe since it runs along and up the outside wall. Does this change the situation or do I still need to call Transco?

If I have to use Transco, do you have any idea how much you'd expect it to be, £50, £100, £150, £200?

Thanks again.

A customer of mine last week had a pipe like this and was not sure if it was live. He called his gas provider who came out and cut and cap it off out of site.

There was no charge.

Andy

Thanks very much again for all your advice.

Just to let you know, I've contacted National Grid [Transco] and they're sending an engineer round for free but just to check if the pipe is live. Then if I want it removed, I have to phone another department and pay for it.

You never know, this engineer might do it for few sheckles.

It should be dead if you have a new supply but there is always the possibility that it could be live that is why they are sending an engineer, this pipe was before the meter when it was installed there and is the transporters responsibility, if it is dead TELL them to remove it as it is their responsibility not yours and dont pay anything

It should be dead if you have a new supply but there is always the possibility that it could be live that is why they are sending an engineer, this pipe was before the meter when it was installed there and is the transporters responsibility, if it is dead TELL them to remove it as it is their responsibility not yours and dont pay anything

Okay, thanks for that. I see what you mean. If it is live, shouldn't they still remove it for free because it's part of the old system that has no use anyway?

Thanks again.

It's illegal to have more than one service entry pipe per property.

If its live by law they should be disconnecting it in the street after 12months of non usage completely free of charge .
Someone is lying to you

Often the case when new plastic mains/services are laid the old steel services are just abandoned. New services will supply an external meter so any old internal pipework is left in situ. Best to get it checked though, always assume live unless proved otherwise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back