What is this???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First of all some background:-

1] Owned the house for six months.
2] Have recently re-plumbed bathroom including new 6 foot towel rail.
3] Oil fired central heating.
4] Rads have all got individual thermostats.
5] Previous owner says main wall thermostat doesn't work.
6] Boiler downstairs, cylinder upstairs, c/h and water tanks in loft.
7] Had a plumber come round to plumb in shower pump and enclosure and at the time he looked at this itemin the pipework coming from the centre of cylinder and and I think his words were 'that wants getting rid of cos its leaking and you don't really need it anyway.' Asked him to do whatever he suggested to it and I would pay him, but he never did.

My problem is this; radiators in the house all work fine after bleeding them but then after a couple of days the rads upstairs all get cold at top and warm at bottom while downstairs rads are all hot. So bleed them all again and same problem after 2/3 days.
Have just done it again and think i can now feel air being sucked in via the valve section on the side of this contraption in the threaded part after bleeding rads, there is also evidence that it is leaking.

I am a beginner at CH and would appreciate any and all help so that I don't have to employ the services of yet another yellow pages plumber who turns out to be fresh out of a NVQ course, appear to know less than me, have to borrow my tools and who should in all fairness have arrived on a horse and wear a mask to extort the money he did.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Looks like a automatic air release valve, just replace it.

Cheap enough and easy to change.

James

automatic air vent, 10 to 12 pounds from plumbcentre, a manual air bleed would be better- cost 1.50. system would need draining to install.

why drain it? just bung it.

must confess ive never seen one soldered in like that. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Its not soldered its threaded into the top of a brass tee.

Thank you very much.

Do I just ask for an automatic air valve to fit 22m pipe - i'm guessing 3/4" thread?

Will replacing this solve the air getting into the rads?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back