What it Costs to be trades person.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How much will the overheads be..?

I've taken some time to gather varied and some detailed info from the web and of my own.

This can be so varied i'm just going to stick to the basic details of my expenses and running costs, You'll probably end up with some others depending on your profession.

Accountants and bookkeeping
Unless your an accountant or bookkeeper, you'll need to pay someone, or a family/friend will be helping you.

From personal experience it is best to keep up with the bookkeeping and concurrently your tax and vat returns. If you don't manage this correctly you'll end up spending more than you have in the business, and go bust..lose your house and be extremely depressed.

My bookkeeping as a Limited Company in the building industry is very labour intensive, my bookkeeping is about £100 a month depending on the accounting period. This includes payroll for an employee.
And accountants fees for the year are £900 based on all the bookkeeping being done.

So that's £2100 a year.

Vehicle and Van costs.

Whether you've got a car or van, or get the train to work. You need to add this cost.
Some may have an old vehicle and might not think that you should be charging a client for the overheads. But look at the following link for a more detailed view of running costs and be amazed! I was..

http://media.rac.co.uk/pdf/rac-cost-of-motoring-index-2011.pdf

My fairly new van, will cost me £7500 per year
This includes insurance, fuel, depreciation, tax, interest on a loan etc

Tools, equipment, stationary and computing.

My trade as a carpenter can be the most expensive trade. Tools can cost the Earth, furthermore they wear out and need maintenance or sharpening. Typically i would spend £100-£150 a month on tools and sharpening saw blades.

Do you have a computer for work, printer! web connection at home... the list can endless. Lets say that a computer and all the thigs that go with it cost me approx £200 a year.

Stationary..include business cards, paper, note books, pens/pencils, envelopes, stamps....suppose it depends on your business. Mine is £40-50 a year.

Business premises and or working from home

Is your house your office, do you work on the road have to pay for accomodation.
Look at the following HMRC advise to there tax inspectors.

I'm usually in the office about 5-10 hours a week. And i charge the company £25 a month. Or £300 a year

I also rent a small barn for £300 a month, because i don't have a garage it allows me to do work in the dry.

Thats £3600 ayear

Expenses so far £13750 a year.

Mine is not an ordinary Company and these costs could be greater or less. But the most important thing is to make sure they are included!

http://selfemployed360.blogspot.co.uk/

Sponsored Links
Its shocking the cost of being a sole-trader or small business owner, Most people are unaware that it can cost you 50-80 a day BEFORE you earn any money.

We are slowly becoming the lowest paid, but the hardest working. Apart from the cruise ship workers..(ON TV TONIGHT)

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with working hard. As mentioned in another post on here, people don't realise the costs involved. The main thing though is if you enjoy being a sole trader.

So go and get a normal job with a boss and do the 9-5 grind! :rolleyes:

I would, but as many of you already know.. once your, your own boss; its never going to be easy to work for someone else.

I wasn't complaining.. far from it. I suppose i was shocked to find that over the past 12 years being my own boss; gaining alot of experience but not really having a pay rise in the years, thats gone up with inflation.

I think it comes from guys (untrained or very little knowledge) coming in to the building industry and charging really low money for a days work, which in turn makes it harder to earn a decent income.

So go and get a normal job with a boss and do the 9-5 grind! :rolleyes:

I would, but as many of you already know.. once your, your own boss; its never going to be easy to work for someone else.

I wasn't complaining.. far from it. I suppose i was shocked to find that over the past 12 years being my own boss; gaining alot of experience but not really having a pay rise in the years, thats gone up with inflation.

I think it comes from guys (untrained or very little knowledge) coming in to the building industry and charging really low money for a days work, which in turn makes it harder to earn a decent income.

Someone who had a roof done said that the price for his roof hadn't changed in 20 years. It is hard to compete against the little guys but you have to adapt and think ahead of them. Once the recession is over they'll go back to site work. People will be more willing to pay for a "proven" contractor.

Back