what kind of joist hangers should I be using?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For a simple 2-storey extension, I need joist hangers to attach my joists to traditional 1930s solid brick wall (i.e. total thickness one brick length, no cavity) at one end and cavity wall with thermalite blocks on the inner leaf at the other end. I also need to match existing floor height reasonably accurately.

On the thermalites, I guess I can use something like these: http://expamet.co.uk/product/builders-metalwork/joist-hangers/sph-standard-type-s-joist-hanger, but what good (i.e. easy) approaches are there to getting them at the right height? I've heard some suggestions that you can get hangers that you install into a cut you make into the blocks with an angle grinder, but these ones appear to have holes in the flange that I guess need a screw into the masonry through them (is this right?) so is that out of the question with these? If so what kind do you use for that?

Also, what approach should I take with the bricks? Take a brick out above where they need to be (I'm assuming the bricks align correctly with the existing joists for this to work, because the existing joists are built in to the wall)? Again, what do I do about access to fix through the holes in the flange, if this is necessary? Or are there hangers that don't need the flange? What's the usual approach here?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back