What Kw shower can I use??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm doing up my ensuite bathroom and in my wisdom chucked out the old electric shower before checking the kw rating on it. How can I tell which kw rated shower I can use? Had a look at the fuse box but cant see a rating on it. Any help really appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Three things:-

What size was the mcb/fuse protecting the circuit ?
What size is the circuit cable ?
What is the type and set-up of your consumer unit ?

Three things:-

What size was the mcb/fuse protecting the circuit ?
What size is the circuit cable ?
What is the type and set-up of your consumer unit ?
Fourth thing - how is the cable installed, i.e. does it run on the surface of walls, is it buried in loft insulation etc?

It doesnt say the size on the fuse box. Do i need to remove it to look at the back or something? How do you measure the cable, do you simply measure the diameter? The house is around 12 years old, persimmon built if that makes any difference.

Sponsored Links
Fourth thing - how is the cable installed, i.e. does it run on the surface of walls, is it buried in loft insulation etc?

And if it is run on walls, is it in conduit or trunking?

That will reduce the current carrying capacity.

It doesnt say the size on the fuse box ... The house is around 12 years old

Can you describe this fuse box for us. Is it a consumer unit (ie. a row of circuit breakers, each with a switch)? If so are there any markings above the switch for the shower? (such as B32 or B40)

The 'fuses' in my 'fuse box' don't say what size they are either. Just some silly code like NSB20. One of them, with a strange yellow button on a 6 Amp light circuit actually has 30mA written on it, how daft is that? :)
Nowhere near as daft as you.

Nowhere near as daft as you.

Thanks, I'll take that as a compliment.

OP: If you haven't been scared off already, try to ignore the off-topic posts. I want to help but I find it hard to say anything on this forum without the resident bully sticking his/her nose in.

OP: If you haven't been scared off already, try to ignore the off-topic posts.
There were no off-topic posts until you wrote this:

The 'fuses' in my 'fuse box' don't say what size they are either. Just some silly code like NSB20. One of them, with a strange yellow button on a 6 Amp light circuit actually has 30mA written on it, how daft is that? :)

I want to help but I find it hard to say anything on this forum without the resident bully sticking his/her nose in.
I see no bullying going on.

Oh, OK, I must be wrong, Sorry :oops:

I do hope the OP replies.

I want to help
How can you offer real help when you cannot understand the coding of an MCB
mikeyd said:
Just some silly code like NSB20.
or recognise an RCBO or RCD is not the same as an MCB
mikeyd said:
with a strange yellow button on a 6 Amp light circuit actually has 30mA written on it,

And as for
mikeyd said:
but I find it hard to say anything on this forum without the resident bully sticking his/her nose in.
What you call bullying is ( in this case ) valid comment on un-helpful postings from you who by your own postings show a lack of knowledge and hence a lack of ability to offer constructive help to the people seeking help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back