What material to build bathroom cabinets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of redoing my bathroom. Due to the design I have come up with I will need to build a sink unit for a countertop sink, from scratch. Now, the units that you can buy ready made are made from MDF with veneer. Is this a suitable material to self build one from? I would have thought that even with varnish on the cut surfaces the MDF would swell up like a sponge when it gets damp!

I am planning to build a substantial frame from 2x1, securely screwed to the studwall uprights on both sides. Then I will clad it with the MDF and cover it with some form of finish. The finish I am aiming for is a modern, satin-white, so it looks like all my bits of MDF are just one big moulded unit.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the MDF and what I can use to cover it? What kind of filler can I use if I cock up any of the cuts (as I no doubt will!)

Sponsored Links
Hi Adam,

what about using a laminate over the MDF, quite time consuming, but effective and hard wearing.

Might be quite pricey tho, and helps if you have a table saw to cut to size and a router to use as a trimmer.

If you decide this route, post a message and I'll give you some tips.

Also, I think that a water resistant MDF is available?

Laminate sounds like what I am looking for. Is it possible to mould it around corners/radius by heating it? Where abouts can it be purchased?

Sponsored Links
Hi Adam,

searched for ages trying to find a supplier, this is the best I cam up with... this

Whether they deal in small amounts to Joe Public is anyones guess!

Yes you can use laminate around curves (only one direction - and limits on the tightness of radius). You don't have to heat it up as it is stuck on using contact adhesive. One coat on each surface, allow to dry and apply. then trim.

If you can get any and go ahead, let us know and I'll give you some more info.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back