What new boiler should I get?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We currently have an 10 year old Baxi Solo boiler which we acquired when we bought the house. We have had it serviced annually, but over the last 3 years have had just about every part of it replaced. At service this year we were advised it fails its emmissions test? and also that the burner would need replacing soon.

we are wondering wheter we should just cut our losses and get a new boiler. I have no idea how long they are supposed to last.

Would it be worth getting a condensing boiler? And are any manufactureres better than others, both in terms of reliability and aftercare service? Our local gas man has recommended a Halstead one, but these won't fit in the existing cupboard.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

thanks x

Sponsored Links
Get rid of the solo, forget fitting new boiler in cupbaord, rip that off the wall and make room for a boiler with better priorities than small size.

I'm sick of promoting my favourite boiler, some numpties will suggest some rubbish and you'll get some good suggestions too. I hope you go for the right one, for your sake.

Its not a question of "should I get a condensing boiler" !

All new boilers have to be condensing now ( and before someone thinks its important to say so, except in a VERY few special cases which will not apply to you. )

There are many different makes of boiler. Its generally more important that the installation is done correctly and the system is properly cleaned than which make of boiler is chosen.

The Halstead Eden looks quite a good boiler but they are not generally popular with many installers. Many installers prefer to fit the "big name boilers" like Vaillant, Worcester and Glow-Worm

Tony Glazier

A key thing is that most installers have a favourite brand, and that brand they probably have more experience with and have better contacts with the manufacturer of. So if you can find a nice heating engineer you trust and are happy with, then you should go with his recommendation.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back