What oil boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I know very little about this topic and would like some guidance and advice on which boiler I should be looking at, as there are so many makes and models available. I am going for oil for various reasons.
I have a small 2 bedroom cottage. A log burning stove as a main heat source (not connected to radiators), no storage tank. The boiler will be for hot water and the heating of 6 radiators. Can you give me a steer on the most economic options available as I am on a fairly tight budget, and all the accessories I will need. I am told by my plumber that I need a Combi Condensing Boiler with an output of 80,000 btu.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Mark

PS. Any advice on storage tanks (size, make, model) would also be great.

Sponsored Links
Don't have a combi unless you need loads of hot water continuously. They are not efficient. If you are on a tight budget oil central heating may not be the way. Your plumber may say "condensing", but you cannot have anything else (England) but Scottish rules may allow non-condensing. If so, have non-condensing. Use only steel oil tanks.

what solid fuel do you have ? maybe you can add a boiler to it and heat the water with that.... some do have that option.

also look at electric boilers. 100% + efficiency.. in some cases.

also look towards linking the systems for even more economy. ie: solid fuel and electric, you could even link the 3 if you feeling adventurous .. :)

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I know very little about this topic and would like some guidance and advice on which boiler I should be looking at, as there are so many makes and models available. I am going for oil for various reasons.
I have a small 2 bedroom cottage. A log burning stove as a main heat source (not connected to radiators), no storage tank. The boiler will be for hot water and the heating of 6 radiators. Can you give me a steer on the most economic options available as I am on a fairly tight budget, and all the accessories I will need. I am told by my plumber that I need a Combi Condensing Boiler with an output of 80,000 btu.

Mark, if your home is well insulated then yes, an electric boiler may be the answer and it can supplement your log burning stove. There's two types of electric boiler; a flow through & a storage, the former being these small ones & the latter being a larger unit that 'stores' heat at a cheap rate and, is therefore better. Check with your power suppliers, see what tariff they'll give you.

Here in Scotland any oil boiler would need to be condensing and you would also need a Building Warrant. I would also advise not to fit an oil combi & to retain/upgrade your HW cylinder and new radiators of course.
A small 1200Ltr oil tank can be fitted, that'll not require a bund.

If I was you & using your log stove, I'd check out the electric systems. Some people are getting good running costs with the right tariff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back