What paint to use for fibreglass garage door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a fibreglass garage door that needs repainting.

I have done some Googling to try and work out what paints I need, but I'm a bit confused.

The general message seems to be to use an Acrylic Latex paint.

Most paints I have looked at obviously don't mention fibreglass in their short descriptions, so I'm struggling to understand exactly which paints will be up to the job.

Is the Latex part important? Most Acrylic paints I have seen don't specifically mention Latex, I'm not sure if that means its not got it, or that it goes without saying that it has?

Is all Eggshell paint Acrylic? (and can it be used?)

If somebody could give me a link to something, ideally from Toolstation, Screwfix or one of the common DIY places, I'd be very grateful. As I only have one double garage door to paint, something that comes in small quantities would be good, and as its on old garage door, a reasonable product (i.e. cheaper) will suffice.

It also sounds like although it is already painted, I still need to prime first? Is that the case? If so, please could you also recommend a primer. I already have some of the following, which is Acrylic (but probably not Latex, and also only mentions timber in its description). Can I use that?

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p31900

Sorry for the schoolboy questions and thank you in advance for any help you can give. I will be very grateful.

Sponsored Links
I've always found plain old standard gloss without any undercoat is the best. Sand it well first.

It works well on plastic drainpipes too - lasts for years.

Sponsored Links
What grit sandpaper should I use? I heard that anything other than fine risks ruining the surface (but that was the site that specified acrylic latex paint)

Thanks again for your help.

Personally, I'd use about 100 grit but you don't see it around that much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back