what pressure for expansion vessel?

Thought I'd give you an update...

I got the pump out from under the boiler - it wasn't easy because the pump has to be angled to get through the tiny gap - furthermore the pipes to the pump are very short so there's very little 'give' in the pipes to wiggle the pump out. Oh and theres some nice sharp edges of metal under there which are designed to shred your hands. :(

Anyway powered up the pump out of the boiler and it spun okay so I decided to reinstall it. :rolleyes:

With the system drained the system pressure gauge still indicated around 0.7 bar. Dodgy gauge - I doubt the system was properly pressurised previously...probably the cause of the thermal cutout.

There was also no expansion vessel pressure at all - pressing the valve pip didn't release any air. I pumped this up to 10 bar and refilled the system to about 1.5 bar (that's what the gauge said but it's knacked). Bled air out from the heat exchanger pipe and started it up. It cut out once and after bleeding some more air ran fine.

Fingers crossed it stays working! :D

Sponsored Links
I hope that was a mistype. EV should be 1bar not 10bar.

For your next task go and change the pump auto air vent and diverter valve on an Ideal Isar which is fitted into a kitchen wall unit by one of those most wanderful of people a Kitchen fitter.

I have a prv to change today where bottom of boiler is right against kitchen worktop. I have the right to say get the worktop removed and I'll come back, but I'll go and have a go, see if I can't find a way round it.

It's such fun, when the manufacturer isn't at faulkt for badly designing parts placement, the housewife is for wanting it all neat and out of the way, or the kitchen fitter for obliging her.]

Was it Jack Dee said it? Boilers should be in the middle of the living room, lit up with an inspection pit underneath. That's what I'm talking about.

Ooops, yes that should be 10 psi not 10 bar! :oops:

Jack Dee sounds like he had experience of a worcester combi boiler!

Let us know how you get on with that kitchen unit boiler job.

P.S. the boiler is still running ok. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back