what setting for Y plan on Grundfoss Alpha 2 L

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have the above pump fitted to a Y plan system with a new condensing boiler. my alpha 2 seems different to the ones ive seen elsewhere online, in that it doesnt have a power readout or autoadapt button, it looks like this one:

http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...X&ei=8CVyTsXOIMq28QPh8YHcCQ&ved=0CKIBEPMCMAk#

with the words POWER instead of autoadapt. so what has the plumber installed? and what setting should i put it on?

UPDATE: seems mine is an Alpha 2 L:

http://www.ecobuild.co.uk/var/uploads/exhibitor/1876/alpha2_l_dbs_0908_2.pdf

Sponsored Links
You have been given an Alpha 2L pump. It should show this on the front plate as "Alpha2 L 15-50".

The only difference is the L version does not have Autoadapt, Night setback and Power indicator.

Alpha 2 L Instructions

Sponsored Links
they just put it on fixed speed II. which seems a tad stupid as it will just work like a normal pump in this mode it seems.

my system is a condensing boiler feeding rads with TRV's and an indirect cylinder via a mid position valve.

Grundfos suggest, in the link I gave earlier, initially setting it to PP2. If all rads do not get hot, it should be set to PP1.

Which boiler do you have (make and model)? Do you know if there is a bypass and if it has been correctly adjusted? This is also explained in the Grundfos Instructions.

im not really a plumber. so when the instructions start going on about flow rates i kinda havent got a clue.

when the system was installed, the initial survey guy put down an automatic bypass, i belive, but when the guys came to install the system he said that they didnt need to fit one on my setup. i do have one large double rad in the hall, with no trv's, where they fitted the room thermostat, im guessing thats my bypass.

the boiler is a:

http://www.idealheating.com/products/icos_he.php

Icos HE18.

also your link doesnt work for me, probably you have an account to access that area of there site.

when the system was installed, the initial survey guy put down an automatic bypass, i belive, but when the guys came to install the system he said that they didnt need to fit one on my setup. i do have one large double rad in the hall, with no trv's, where they fitted the room thermostat, im guessing thats my bypass.
If you have a 3 way valve, as in the pic below, you do not need a bypass as the HW cylinder and/or the rad in the hall will act as your bypass.

View media item 5946
also your link doesnt work for me, probably you have an account to access that area of there site.
Sorry about that. I don't have an account to access the site, so it must be the way the link is configured.

Open This Link and then "Click here to download."

Have you tried with the pump on the PP2 setting? Provided all rads get hot, there shouldn't be any need to change it, but if some are cold set it to PP1. (I am assuming that the rads were balanced by the installer.)

the new boiler, hot water cylinder, three port valve (like the one in your photo), a few new rads and trv's, room stat, and cylinder stat have all been fitted by warfront sub contractors working for Total Trade Services. so i would be supprised if they did balance the rads, as they didnt seem to get much time to install the system.

ive got the pump set to PP2 at the moment and it seems to work well in this mode. i just wasnt sure what the difference was between proportional high pressure and low pressure, and how it would affect a Y plan system.

p.s. your new link gives me the same wierd messege:

Your WebCAPS session appear to be lost.

Please restart WebCAPS.

p.s. your new link gives me the same weird message:

Your WebCAPS session appear to be lost.

Please restart WebCAPS.
I had the same when I tried using the link just now. It's something to do with cookies. This will work:

http://www.grundfos.co.uk/

Click Webcaps UK Specific Products (bottom of middle column)
Literature (either)
Heating
Alpha
Alpha2 L
Select Grundfos Alpha2 L (Installation and operation)
Click here to download (which is where my link should have taken you!)

If PP2 setting works OK, I would leave it as it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back