What should i use over brick/block?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, my first post here.

I've just taken down a wall to open up a bedroom wardrobe but on either side i am left with rough exposed brick and blockwork. I'm wanting to cover up the exposed brick in line to the existing wall with a smooth-ish finish, and it needs to be strong enough to take a wooden frame being screwed to it.
I was thinking that a coat of browning might do the trick?
thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Hi everyone, my first post here.

Welcome.

I've just taken down a wall to open up a bedroom wardrobe but on either side i am left with rough exposed brick and blockwork. I'm wanting to cover up the exposed brick in line to the existing wall with a smooth-ish finish, and it needs to be strong enough to take a wooden frame being screwed to it.
I was thinking that a coat of browning might do the trick?
thanks in advance

Browning tends to be used less than other undercoat plasters e.g. Hardwall, Bonding.

A pic may really help, but I'm assuming you have an uneven section about 1' wide with bricks end-on to slightly differing levels....

1) It may be necessary first to fill in any deep voids/loose bricks with mortar first to give a basically smooth layer about 1" below surrounding level. And let this set.

Personally on plaster choice, I'd probably use Bonding as I think a bit easier to use for the unexperienced. I'm also assuming your house is quite modern and gypsum plaster in use already?

2) If using Bonding certainly, you'll need to apply diluted PVA/water mix to avoid suction and all your Bonding cracking.
3) Put a first coat into the gap, allow to set
4) Put a second coat into the gap to about 2mm below surrounding wall level. Let set.
5) Depending on skill Multi-finish or Easifill. You will use either side of existing wall to serve as a guide as you apply your trowel up and down spanning the gap.
Personally would use Multifinish, but if not experienced, Easifill is easier to use for the final surface (as it can be sanded/touched up etc).

Yeah, gypsum plaster is used in this house.

thanks for the help, would a sand/cement mix be suitable to cover the brick?

Im pretty handy with a trowel, but might not bother with a finish coat if i can just put the frame straight over the top.[/img]

Sand and cement will be fine, leave just shy of the surface and use easi-fill for a finish, unless it is getting completely covered by the new frame in which case finish flush to existing.

Sponsored Links
Sand and cement will be fine, leave just shy of the surface and use easi-fill for a finish, unless it is getting completely covered by the new frame in which case finish flush to existing.

Cheers Alastair - a much simpler solution! :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back