What should i use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am in the process of moving into a flat and the previous owner has built what looks like a MDF unit which they've cleverly fixed it to the wall and painted it. It's been really nicely done and you would think it is actually part of the wall until you tap it.

What they have done is built in two compartments into the fake wall, one to fit a VCR/DVD player and the other to mount there Flat screen TV. I would like to keep the fake wall but put my TV etc elsewhere. What shall i do about the holes?

Is it wise to some how attach some plaster board in the compartments and use some finishing plaster on the plaster board to make it all look like a flat wall? Or should i be using plaster board, render and finishing plaster?.... or something else?

I have attached a very amateur drawing of what we're looking at to give you hopefully a better idea.

Appreciate your help!!!!

Sponsored Links
all you need to do is cut and screw in some battons 12.5mm back from the finished frunt then cut and screw in a place of 12.5mm plasterboard
use filler round the edges light sanding paint it job done

Screw gyproc to the whole thing, a couple of corner beads then skim!

Sponsored Links
yep it dus m8 no need for all the fanning about seting beads and skimming just some battons and a sheet of plaster board
and some filler from the pound shop

Plasterboard takes paint, but you will find it difficult to blend the patches onto mdf

You will still likely be able to see it & if the rest hasn't been plastered, you will definitely see it due to the difference in texture.

If you plan to skim (& that will look the best), use alastairreid’s method except use a thin coat stop bead, not a corner/angle bead which will need filling on the return side. You will need to skim the board face though & need to run a caulk gun down the back edge otherwise the return radius of the bead will be noticeable on the side walls. Another way of doing it would be to board it over & use metal edge beads down each side but you will see them down both edges of the wall.

nope nope and nope it will be fine if he takes it nice and slow gets it all nice and flust first (the boarding) then starts to fill it even doing it in 2/3 coats sanding each coat when dry it will be fine when its done and painted

A couple sheets 12.5mm 8x4, fine coat beads, bag multi and skim the 3 sides!

This thing is built from Mdf it will crack at the joints plstering.

if he has never plastered or set beads up before then it will turn out pants
go with the plasterboard and filler m8 trust me

not if you scrim the joints first
it will be fine
so the hit list plaster board *3 £16
corner bead *2 £4
muilti finish *2 if it go's tits up £10
so thats =£30

(plaster board and fill
plaster board *1 £6
filler £1
battons (from a skip £0.00p)
say £10 with a pac of plaster board screws
so thats a saving of £20 well till you buy me a pint that is.
SORRY MY BAD AND SAND PAPER FROM THE POUND SHOP

I'm with Richard C and Alastair,,, get it done properly,, "have it skimmed". You said the people that built it had done a "really nice job",, why go and spoil it for the sake of a few quid.

not if you scrim the joints first
it will be fine
so the hit list plaster board *3 £16
corner bead *2 £4
muilti finish *2 if it go's **** up £10
so thats =£30

(plaster board and fill
plaster board *1 £6
filler £1
battons (from a skip £0.00p)
say £10 with a pac of plaster board screws
so thats a saving of £20 well till you buy me a pint that is.
SORRY MY BAD AND SAND PAPER FROM THE POUND SHOP
ilmao jon i love reading your posts especially if i have had a few beers, 2 bags of multi for that little bit? , battons from a skip? mmmn i wonder if the op has a local skip with battons in it, and sand paper from the pound shop that will disintigrate after the first rub? absolutly brilliant only jokin m8 hows the missus and baby?

all good m8 yours and the sand paper from the pound shop is A OK M8

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back