What size are 13 amp socket screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
My other half was cleaning work top this morning. She disturbed kettle socket. It is hanging with the wire. I checked the reason for this to happen. The base plate is sunk in too deep. The two screws are not long enough. Instead some smarty pants put blobs of "it stiks like ****" to stick it. That is not a proper sparky or a competent person would do.

I have measured the screws dia as 3.5mm. Its not M4 as I assumed. What size it is and can I get 40 to 45mm long. We are not going to use our socket until it is fixed.

Basecoat

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
M3.5, in soooo many sizes. A bag of 100 are not expensive at a wholesaler, or if you take in a couple sticky buns, you'll likely get a few :)

FWIW: dont use an angle grinder to cut the screws, the threads will become distorted - use side cutters to snip the thread or a mini hack saw.

Some sockets, use non standard head screws or even coloured screws, extension studs are used to extend these

Knippex do a pair of crimped and a pair of side cutters with holes to cleanly cut screws.

However you plan to cut them, also plan to get a few M3.5 nuts to put onto the screws before you cut them, so you can clean the ends up.

You can buy packs of 2 or 4 M3.5 screws around 50mm long in Wilkos or B & Q electrical section. Probably the length you need. Why all this pointless discussion on cutting longer ones?

Why all this pointless discussion on cutting longer ones?

I use approx 2 every year. My wall depths are all over the place. It's much easier for me to have a stock of 100mm and cut them to suit (5 minutes) rather than keeping a stock of every length, or a pointless drive to the shops. That's just the way I roll :) Never had thread damage problems, but there's a knack to most things in life, and bolt cutting is one of them.

It's much easier for me to have a stock of 100mm and cut them to suit (5 minutes)
How long to drill through the back of the box and into the wall so that you don't have to cut them? :ROFLMAO:

Never had thread damage problems, but there's a knack to most things in life, and bolt cutting is one of them.
Probably.

It's also probable that someone would rather have put a nut on first and then found they didn't need to than the other way round...

How long to drill through the back of the box and into the wall so that you don't have to cut them?

I like the cut of your jib... I'll try that next time. I've also heard that you can just glue the faceplates on with GripFill, and save all this bother completely!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back