What Size Lead Loc?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit a lead-loc. I see that they are available in 6, 7, 8 and 9 lb sizes. How do I know what size I need?

Also, can you get lead-locs with a 22mm end, they all seem to be 15mm?

Sponsored Links
Find the diameter (wrap something round it then divide the length of this by 3.14) and take it to a plumbers merchants - they'll give you what's required (you won't be the first!)

Thanks for the quick reply Daneski. Do you know if they do 22mm ends?

Thanks for the quick reply Daneski. Do you know if they do 22mm ends?
Depends on the size - I'm currently looking at one in my hand and it is a 22mm end. If you pm me your address you can have it for nothing (tiny offchance it will be the right size) as i'm not likely to use it and it's just gathering dust.

Accept my friendship request above if you're interested.

Sponsored Links
Just be aware that sometimes you dont get a perfect fit and you have to reduce the external dia of the lead to get the nut on to the lead pipe.

A little trick that I use is to heat the nut alone up with a blowlamp and work it on to the lead the lead melts and the nut goes on !

If its the first time youve done anything like this I would suggest you get a plumber in rather than attempt it yourself. can be tricky.

"Half Inch" lead pipe comes in 5, 6 and 7lb weights, and connects via an adapter to 15mm
"Three Quarter Inch" lead comes in 9 and 11lb (and possibly other) weights and adapts to 22mm.

The imperial sizing like "half inch" refers to the internal diameter, so 15mm copper is in that case about the same.

Warning - old lead wil often spring a lot of leaks if you move it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back