What size RSJ for garage roof

Shytalkz - Your information was graciously recieved, and your offer of doing the calcs, if needed, was a lot more than I could have hoped for.

His valuable advice is free, it's the priceless bit of paper that'll cost ya ;) :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Ah, John,
You don't understand.
The brothers of the wall, believe that the whole universe is/are merely the atoms in a cherry pit (stone) which is surrounded by a dry stone wall.
Only when we have 'made the journey' and seen the great stone wall layer will we understand what 'it' is all about.
So far those who have made the journey and returned, (The returned ones) can only tell us that bricklayers should rule the universe and all other trades are destined to be mere acolytes
Beware the architect of confusion.

Sponsored Links
For anyone else, it's here.
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/chessspy/BadPractice
Pics 1-2-3
if you look at pic3 you will se that these bright lads have spun a cut in one side, and I suppose they will come back at some stage and spin up the other side, knock down the panel and 'intend' to install some sort of frame
If they kill themselves in the process, well it's only evolution culling the to stupid to be allowed to breed, and cleansing the gene pool.

I just went past,
there is a small pair of steps and a dozen bricks appeared. ?!?
I'll pop round later and see whats happening.

I just went past,
there is a small pair of steps and a dozen bricks appeared. ?!?
I'll pop round later and see whats happening.

Someone obviously grassed them up and they were told to put it all back!

Sorry to break up the party, but I have another question.
It's about the RSJ so I don't think I need a new thread?

Just seen the brickie.
He says the ends should rest on 6" of brick.
I said 4"
Not that I know better, but I seem to recall being told by the inspector for my extension 6 years ago, that lintels need to sit on a minimum of 4" brick?
Otherwise, when I set it into the brick on the house cavity wall, how would I make it rest on 6"? (edit - build a pillar! Trying to think all the time.)
He says the pillar on the garage wall for it will be tied to the single skin brick with ties?
4" or 6"?
And I am talking bricks here.
And no, I didn't hit the b instead of p.
Thanks.
John

Sorry about hijacking your thread, I'll put an update in mine.

regarding the land for the RSJ. it depends, on various factors.
Take the example of an internal knock through on to a 9" party wall,
clearly the lintol cannot go more than halfway through(4") as it would encroach on the other parties property, and that is not legally permissable.
So the load would be spread with a concrete pad, say 18" long set below and at right angles to the lintol and parallel with the existing wall.
this would be regarded as standard practice, and if your wall is 4" with the lintol coming off at rightangles, there is no reason why you shouldn't go that route, all you need to address in wether it will show on the outside, and in that case you could have a pier built inside to take the lintol end, (land) but it would need to be tied in properly not just 'fixed'
So it sounds like your bricky is getting his lands mixed up, and is probably thinking of the regs for openings where the length of the land of the lintol depends on the span, these are different for lintols spanning off (ie. not parallel to the wall concerned)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back