What size RSJ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im getting my living room/backroom knocked through and having a four foot set of french doors put in.Thing is I keep hearing conflicting advice on what support the gap will need.Like I said,it will be a four foot opening in a load bearing wall.The wall goes through the middle of the house (its a small two story terraced house) and also supports the loft above.(Hope that makes sense?).I take it RSJ's are the best option? Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Cheers Tony.Any ideas as to cost? Im not actually doing the work,but I am sourcing the materials as I was quoted a £100 just for the steel! Also would a catnic be ok to use? This was recomended by some.Oh and the loft is used as a bedroom btw.

Wouldn't know about cost but for a 5ft beam, seems a lot. Can you find second-hand?
Catnics are OK but a bit tinny and better for new-build rather than alterations.
Doesn't matter what the loft is for as it won't put any load on the beam.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply once again Tony,a couple of questions though,remember Im a complete dunce when it comes to a lot of this stuff,but what did you mean by 6" x 3 1/2"? Also,when Ive been looking at 5' RSJ's I get a third number i.e 152 x 89 x 16,what does the 16 refer to? And would that be what I'd need to buy? Thanks for your patience!

Wouldn't know about cost but for a 5ft beam, seems a lot. Can you find second-hand?
I paid £56 + VAT a couple of years ago for a 2.1m 152x89.

So what you have been quoted does seem a lot, although steel can fluctuate in price quite a lot...

I paid £56 + VAT a couple of years ago for a 2.1m 152x89.

So what you have been quoted does seem a lot, although steel can fluctuate in price quite a lot...

Some nice up to date pricing there! :LOL:

In january I paid £135.00 for a pair of 152x89's primmed and with 4 collars at 2.7m in length - so joking aside, Ronny's price won't be far off if you don't hae any favourable terms with anyone....

It hard to tell your exact requirements without first knowing what are the location, loading and span requirements. If you can provide these we will be able to understand your requirements better and advise on the most appropriate and cost effective solution

Job I'm on at the moment has rsj girder I beam H irons 1m x 0.3m for the roofing portals. :LOL:
I think it spanning about 50m or so. Might post up some images.

We'll be forming high quality walling between the huge vertical columns. :mrgreen:

OOps looks like I oversized it.
They are in fact 600mm.

The frames are starting to sag and the heavy cement fibre sheeting is not even on yet. Also a heavy walkway suspended below which has space for hundreds of people.
SE out on site today scratching his head.

I reckon they will have to prop it from below which wasn't in the design spec.

The frames are starting to sag and the heavy cement fibre sheeting is not even on yet.
SE out on site today scratching his head.

Ohh dear! SEs sometimes only work out the sag due to live load and forget
about the dead load of the structure itself. Keep us posted!

A snapshot of the end gable where we have started the formwork.
The SE seems happy with the amount of deflection. But I can see it going further when the 40 odd ton of roof sheets are laid.

The steelwork designer looks at fault to me but from what I can tell he's not accepting it and the steel erector is not a happy camper at the moment.
He is being asked to lower the end frame which is difficult task given the design they have used.
And of course who pays?

The two end posts are also out of plum and we need these set correct asap for the formwork to continue.
martformwork2.png

The rafters do look rather small for the span.
40 tons of roof cladding will not necessarily weigh much per square metre - it's thepossible snow load which will test the roof.
You can see the diagonal bracing at roof level in the first bay - that'll be the lateral bracing in the long direction. Presumably the concrete walls are being cast directly against the columns? That will be to prevent racking in the width direction.
Interesting stuff - thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back