What size wood to straddle joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on wood sizing for straddling the joists in my loft space.

My joists are at 600mm centres and are about 1.5" wide.

I was looking at putting some wood running in the opposite direction at lower centres, basically for storage and ease of moving around.

Although it will primarily be for storage, i'd like it to be strong enough to walk on for moving around, so I'm unsure how thick the wood needs to be so that it doesn't snap in the middle, if I stood there.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't thinking of completely boarding it as it in the sloping part of the roof.

I was just thinking of putting cross-members (for want of a better word) across the original joists, at say 300mm centres, just so I have some support (kind of like a noughts and crosses board layout)

But based on what you've said, would I get away with 75 * 25mm lengths, or is it the T+G that gives it the strength.

Hope that makes sense.

Im not sure what you mean,yes you need T&G or it will snap between joists,but you can use square edged pine floor boards

Sponsored Links
Thanks again for the reply and sorry for the confusion.

If you imagine, I have my joists running one way at 600mm centres, I was just thinking of running something like individual boards at say 3-400mm centres (depending on the width of board) in the opposite direction (across the joists).

It's only for putting boxes on, as the 600mm centres are a little too wide for most things.

If the only safe way is to completely board it, then I'll look at doing that instead.

I was just looking at the simple option as it's not used regularly.

Surely the 600x1200 chipboard loft packs will do?

And remember you may need small boards to get up there and to move them about

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back