What sort of ventilation do I have in my loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an in-line extraction fan in the bathroom that goes through the ceiling, into the loft. I found out that my electrician ended the duct deep in the eaves, close to the soffit but without actually terminating into a vent that gives onto the exterior. So basically, the duct ends in the loft.

To make things worse, there are no vents in the soffit in my roof. In fact, the soffit is sealed to the exterior wall with silicone.

So my question is, what sort of ventilation do I have in my loft? I have uploaded a picture of my roofline here:
//www.diynot.com/network/henry1/albums/

The house is ex-council, built in the late 60s/early 70s. All houses in the area have no vent in their soffit so I don't think it's missing in mine; the ventilation is probably elsewhere. There are no air bricks or chimneys either.

My understanding is that the ventilation can be just under the roof tiles, above the gutter through the eaves tray. Fresh air would then travel between the roof and the felt.

My loft also has a low partition on either side with only a small hole for access. These partitions would block any airflow arising from the soffit vents into the loft itself. Thus the absence of these vents. Am I correct in my understanding?

Sponsored Links
Of course the ventilation could be the over fascia type, and if your loft is clear of moisture and airy you dont have a problem.

Your extractor needs connected and vented to the outside.

Of course the ventilation could be the over fascia type, and if your loft is clear of moisture and airy you dont have a problem.

Your extractor needs connected and vented to the outside.

This over fascia ventilation, is it what I've described above?
Unfortunately, I have a big problem with mould in my loft, which is why I started looking at the ventilation issue. It seems that as the fascia/soffit area is sealed, the fan was pumping all the steam from the bathroom into the loft instead of outside.

Sponsored Links
You mean terminate the duct to outside as it was supposed to be done?
Not a bad idea but what type of tradesman can do it? There'll be no wiring involved now.

I can't do it as I can barely get close to the eaves and I have no ladder. And frankly, I don't want to work in this dark dusty loft!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back