What tape to use?

LJR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

I should point out right up front that I'm not an experienced DIY'er and so I do apologise if the questions seem really stupid.

I'm presently building a photography studio out in the back garden. I'm not doing it from scratch but purchased a 10x12 workshop which I've already erected (even I can manage that). I'm now insulating and boarding the interior. For the boarding I'm using what I believe to be fibreboard with a, almost ceramic, white finish to one side (see image below).

What I would like to know is what kind of tape do I need to conceal the joins of the boards? Until I started looking I never knew there were so many tapes out there. I looked at some white edging tape which seems to require ironing on :eek: Is that the right tape? If not, can you recommend what I need and also give me an indication of where to buy it as B&Q and Wickes don't seem to have much?

Thanks in advance

_DSC68991.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Re-post in the Building section althought the Nazis, sorry, Mods might delete it as a double post although hopefully they'll delete this one and leave the one in building, you'll get some answers then.

Thanks. Perhaps a kind mod will move it for me. I don't want to cross-post and annoy everyone :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

This isn't plaster board though, this is like the kind of board you find at the back of a fitted kitchen cabinet (for want of a better description). I'm not even sure plaster would stick to it (the board is fairly flexible).

This is the stuff Link

If it needs plastering then I'm probably in for a world of hurt given I know naff all about that. However, if that's what it needs then so be it. Can you confirm for sure?

sounds like plastic faced hardboard.
white electrical tape, or duct tape (similar but wider) would probably be as good as anything else to cover the gap.

What are you hoping to achieve here?

Are you just boarding it at any cost, with no regards to appearance? You are going to get a bit of a heath robinson job with tape peeling and discolouring over time.

Or at least set the boards out so that the joins are uniformly spaced and look like they are meant to be

You wont be able to plaster these boards, so you wont be getting a smooth flush surface

With this type of wall material you would not use a 'tape' to cover the joints, rather you would use a thin section timber fillet say 9mm thick x 32mm wide (either softwood or mdf) which you can prime and undercoat prior to fixing and then, fill any fixing holes, make good and paint with a finish coat, or you could simply varnish the timber and then fix it (possibly the easier solution.

Regards

Thanks to everyone who responded on this. I ended up using the tape approach and I think the result is absolutely fine considering it will be used purely as a photography studio.

Here you can see the result of the boarding.

_DSC7041.jpg

Thanks again.

P.S. Forgive the non-ironed backdrop (it's ironed now ;))

looks good to me! :D hope it still looks as good in a few months though :confused:

Thanks!

Yup. I know what you mean. The studio isn't complete and there will be black out curtains which can be drawn across the windows. For the most part they will be closed (always better to be in control of all the light when working with portraits) and so I hope to limit the exposure of the white tape to the sun. If it does ultimately bleach it then worst case I could always go over it with a second application at that time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back