What the hell?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi diynoters,

I call upon your expertise and reasoned judgement to give me advice on this project. The reason I exposed what was hidden is because I discovered true dry rot in the door lining of the bedroom above and so investigated further exposing dry rot in the ends of several floor joists and the wall plate. I thought I would go futher and check the kitchen lintel which has been totally rotted and moving on discovered the bloody catastrophe above the rear window.

I had Rentokill in to do a survey and quote for the work which came in at 4 grand, safe to say I'll be doing it myself.

So should I do joists and wall plate first or lintels? Where can I get the chemicals to treat and inhibit dry rot?

Thanks to everyone who replies.

Image number 4 is the other side of the kitchen lintel, from the kitchen.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Apologies, but your pictures are not clear enough, as I can see no evidence of dry rot. Any chance you can upload some detailed photo's of the affected timber?

One point - What you may consider to be dry rot may be the result of 'wet rot' which itself ceases to rot once the offending dampness has been remedied!

One question: What is it that makes you think that you have discovered 'true dry rot'? The reason I ask is that the last place you would expect dry rot to occur is in a door lining to a habitalbe room! Most unusual or was this an external facing door sometime in the past, which would suggest 'wet rot' rather than 'dry rot'!

Regards

over the years i have seen and treated dry rot in all places,there is a lot of info if you google it.
if it really is as you say,i would also get a few more quotes before deciding to do the job your self,rentokil are at the top end of the price scale there may be a local firm to you.
you might be able to purchase the correct chemical from some 1 like safeguard?
you should be able to hire the pump and spray lance from any good hire shop?
im sure you will know if the ends of the joists are rotten your going to have fun replacing/repairing them,as for the lintels just replace them with the pre cast version.but remember all masonry will need to be treated/sprayed aswell.
oh and it might pay to obtain some deep penetrating paste/gel for the rest of the joist ends?.

I wouldn't bother with chemicals. The paramount thing is to cure the source of dampness. Dry rot is everywhere in the atmosphere and will simply return if you don't cure the source of dampness.

Sponsored Links
if well established dry rot will create its own environment so even if initial source of moisture is cured it can still thrive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back