What time of year to paint house exterior

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by Brizz76, 5 Mar 2010.

1. Brizz76

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've had a quote for £1600 (plus £300-£400 for scaffold) to paint the exterior (4 walls) of my detached house and have been told it will take roughly 5 days. Is there a good/bad time of year to be painting the exterior of a rendered house - obviously screaming hot sun and driving rain aren't good, but how important is the general air temperature? Is early March in chilly South Wales an OK time to do it?

Any advice gratefully received.

2. stem

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Usually the paint tin will give you details of when it should be applied. There's not usually a problem in cooler weather. Personally I'd wait until it's about 8 degrees plus and there's no frost expected. The problem when it's cooler is that the longer the paint will take to dry and so you stand more chance of it raining before it does. Particularly if the temperature drops overnight.

I've painted render in hot weather with water based paint easily enough. Gloss is more difficult as it can 'drag' if it dries too quickly.

Wind can be more of a problem, by blowing leaves and dust etc., into your newly painted surface :evil:

3. Lyngarth

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I find the best time of the year for outsides, is normally late April or early September. Before this its to cold and wet, and mid summer (if we get one) is to hot or bright to work ( should be out playing golf)