What to ask the plasterer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We need to get in a plasterer for a full re-plaster on the whole house. My husband is currently hacking off the old stuff. Unfortunately we don't know anyone in the area we live but I've collated a couple of recommendations on-line.

When they come to price up - what questions can I ask to help me find out if he is going to be a good plasterer?

Many thanks
George

Sponsored Links
The best way forward is to get 2 or 3 quotes from reputable local plastering firms, and if possible, ask around for any recommendations on these particular firms. Seeing/having a look at any of their previous work is the ultimate goal.

Thank you. Can I just check, assuming average size rooms - straight forward, ie, just simple square rooms which have already been taken back to the brickwork. For each room, would it be approx. 1 day for the render (is that the right word?), then allow a couple of days for it to dry before the top coat/skim can be done?

Ask your preferred plasterer to do one room first and if you're happy let them carry on

Sponsored Links
Ask your preferred plasterer to do one room first and if you're happy let them carry on
OK. I guess that's not a bad idea.

I've just spoken to a plasterer and he suggested that we 'dot and dab' the walls and then just skim over. He said it will make the job much quicker and I will have really good walls. Is this how plastering is done these days? Hopefully, this will be my house for the next 30 years, is this a good method?

pretty common nowadays, but not as good a job as floating and skimming imho, you will have hollow voids behind the boards, but will be quicker and cheaper in terms of labour costs.

Dot and dab is a fine approach. It refers to "gluing" plasterboard to the existing walls, then skimming over the top. Very common and liked by the trade as its a quick solution that leads to a perfect finish. Whilst your old walls may be imperfect, the board will level that out. Can also improve insulation and noise deadening (slightly).

That said, your walls will then be 'made from' plasterboard, which can be a bit tricky to fix things to (curtain rails, etc.). For this reason, in my own home, I prefer plastered solid walls.

Float and set all day long over d&d you haven't told us what kind of wall you have either you won't be very happy with d&d if you have solid walls… d&d = cheap and nasty get a spread that knows how to float , I would never recommend d&d a whole house as well? If you have any cold rooms you can get cold spots you also will have a lot of joints that could crack where as if you float you would have none , also as said above voids behind board and hard to fix things

Thanks everyone.

I'm going to stick with the traditional method. The house was built in the 1940's and has brick walls internally. The outer walls are brick and have a cavity.

On an average size room, roughly how long does it take for the first coat 'hard wall' to be applied?

Varies from spread to spread weather he has labourer with him or weather he's fast or slow what about ceilings you having them skimmed?

The ceilings are being renewed with new plasterboard. I guess the plasterer will have to do a thin skim over the boards.

When I've had plastering or should I say skimming done before - it's generally been at least one average size room per day. I was wondering if it should be roughly the same with the hardrock/basecoat - I know it is a lot thicker so perhaps it would take longer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back