What to do now that builder didnt use FENSA-reg firm..?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that the double glazing firm my builder used were not actually FENSA-registered, despite his frequent assuances that they were. I have not received a certificate and the website has no record of one being issued for my property. Moreover the builder has been very evasive and has refused to even give me name or contact details of the glazing firm.

The windows appear to be fitted alright, although I think one bedroom is missing some silicone to one side, so there is a slight draught.
The windows themselves came with the Pilkington K stickers on the inside pane (at least, some of them did), but there is no date mark on the inside of the windows.

Moving forward, what is the best course of action? What do i need to do to get to the same position had I used a FENSA-registered firm?....

1. I'm quite concerned about B'Regs Requirement A1-structure: ''When installing new windows or doors an assessment should be undertaken by the contractor as to the suitability of the support of lintel above the replacement window or door.'' - Will my home insurance cover any rectification work needed if in the future there is any structural damage etc due to windows not being correctly fitted? Also, can the BCO check that they were fitted properly?

2. Is there any point in getting LABC to inspect the glass used? In my borought they're pretty expensive - I believe about £130 per 5 windows (so for 20 ...), or can I just buy a meter to check that the correct glass was used?

many thanks,

Sponsored Links
A firm my builder/contractor hired.
I have no details for them whatsoever despite my various requests.

Sponsored Links
Have you paid the builder yet?

What did your contract with the builder say about who was responsible for obtaining Building Regs approvals?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back