What to do to walls before boarding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a whole mix of walls to attach my plasterboard to. I’d like some advice on my thoughts

Stud walls - screw (that was easy!)
Medium density concrete block. No prep, just dot and dab.... or should I wet down first?
Now the problem walls. Original 20’s common bricks, painted several times, papered several times then tiled on top. I’ve busted my balls today removing as much as I can, but looking back at my work it’s depressing. Basically a mix of brick, paint and bits of ripped backing paper dotted about. What to do? Spend another day scraping around? Is there something magic I can paint over the walls to stabilise this crap? PVA? Ideas appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you're after ideas you could always use battens mechanically fixed. A lot of work but it wouldn't move

+1
And it’s not that much more work than dabbing anyway if the walls are level
It’s packing out to get them level that adds time

I’ll bear this in mind. Seems logical but I was hoping my days graft was worth something....

Sponsored Links
Brick even if old and dusty - fine
Paint - probably ok unless coming off
Paper - definitely not
Without seeing it hard to say whether it’s worth taking the risk of dabbing it

If the plaster is old and crumbly it needs to come off and a wide chisel in an sds drill will do that.

If it's sound, board foam adhesive will be best. And this will leave you with more of the room left than dabbing or battens.

Plaster? You have to be joking! None of that luxury. In fact the whole thing is quite comical. Original bare brick, painted white, then green gloss, then wallpapered with grey brick wallpaper, they liked brick so much they then did coloured brick wallpaper, then anaglypta paper painted. Here is my “finished wall” after another few hours this morning.

Ps. No pipes wires or services on this wall

Attachments

• D0E8E1A8-63FB-4B0D-89FE-1228F6938BF0.jpeg
    D0E8E1A8-63FB-4B0D-89FE-1228F6938BF0.jpeg
    529.7 KB · Views: 196
And just for giggles, if you had brick walls, at what point would you consider banging brick wallpaper on top? Twice? Grey underneath, then brick colour....

Attachments

• 40125503-577A-4114-9D76-5B36D199B21D.jpeg
    40125503-577A-4114-9D76-5B36D199B21D.jpeg
    390.5 KB · Views: 126
If the paint or whatever is well stuck, then it can be just boarded over.

You could if you like, use something like Zinsser Gardz to seal it

So if the walls have had the loose stuff removed, would a lash of diluted PVA be of any benefit?

it looks pretty good to be fair, I'm not sure why you'd want to change it
Agree, I've been in new shops that specifically put up cladding inside to get that look!

I searched to find if anyone has ever had plasterboard fall off the wall, and all I found was someone who had kitchen cabinets fall off the wall, and someone who had an expensive TV fall off the wall and smash through 2 glass shelves.
So it may be a non issue in the end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back