What to do with empty airing cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a new combi boiler fitted which now means that my airing cupboard is empty and no longer hot.

Anyone got any ideas as to what I can do with it? Sensible ideas only please!!!

Access is through a large door which is 3ft off the floor so you can't actually walk into it. It's effectively just a very large cupboard.

Cheers,

Chris

Sponsored Links
Could efectively still use it as an airing cupboard. :?:

Fit a small electric heater on a timer and hey presto. :p
Or shelve it out and the missus will find a good use for it :evil:

;)

Cheers chaps.

I like the idea of putting an electric heater in there but isn't that a bit of a waste of money? How expensive would it be to heat what is just a cupboard?

Sponsored Links
Pennies if you use a tubelar heater on as I said a timer, it only needs to air the cupboard not heat it to a set temp and maintain.

;)

Or like one customer I went to fill it with the 2 for 1 supermarket offers!

But not ASDA as they are not on my favourite list as they dont give free bags any more and crush their cardboard boxes instead of letting customers use them.

Tony

I like the idea of putting an electric heater in there but isn't that a bit of a waste of money? How expensive would it be to heat what is just a cupboard?
You don't need a lot of heat in an airing cupboard. Just enough to get the air circulating.

Dimplex make a small 20W tubular heater which would do the job.

If you fit one you need to make sure it cannot get covered by the contents of the airing cupboard.

Have seen people install a very small radiator in them if the pipework is near to the cupboard, this way it costs you nothing. Only downside is in the summer, but you prob would not want even an electric one on then.

How about, getting away from Airing Cupboards and mounting a shelf unit that is say half as deep as the cupboard, onto a set of hidden hinges so that the shelves can be pulled out and moved to one side. These shelves could be used for towels, bedding etc. Then behind, have a secret compartment for valuables, important financial documents, Passports, etc?

Blas, like your thoughts with this one, you could go one step further, still install the radiator, plus a light behind your shelves and grow things that like a lot of heat and light :LOL: :LOL: :oops: :LOL: :LOL:

Had the same situation as you. Her Indoors decided to put her upright freezer in there. Frees space elsewhere, nice door on the front and there you are. Mind you we do live in a bungalow!

:p :) :p :)

Blas, like your thoughts with this one, you could go one step further, still install the radiator, plus a light behind your shelves and grow things that like a lot of heat and light :LOL: :LOL: :oops: :LOL: :LOL:
That goes in the secret compartment (where he also installed errr 'stored', his wife's spare sunbed lamps!!!!) which is behind the 1st secret compartment!... This cupboard is gonna be like bloody narnia by the time we are done!

Quality, you can take the nice new washed and fluffed up towels from the first part of the cupboard into the next, enjoy the growing items that have been aided by the wifes sun lamps and use them to have a kip on later.........my god, hope this was a very big airing cupboard to start with..................................................................................................

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back