What to do with my gas fire?

• Thread starter Deleted member 15266
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15266

We inherited a living flame gas fire. Unfortunately the marble back is heat damaged. Don't know how this happened but I think it was because there was a cm gap between the brass fire trim and the fire back which I've since sealed with fire putty. Anyway the marble back is unsightly and I would like to replace it or cover it over. Could I buy a laminate marble panel and put it offer the top of the marble one, securing it with fire putty and then put the brass trim over the top? I would prefer not to pull the marble off the wall.

Sponsored Links
Never mind the marble.

Its sounds like your fire has been "spilling"

Turn it off NOW and get a CORGI engineer to have a look.

Its sounds like its not installed correctly.

What is 'spilling'? A safety check was done with the smoke things going up the chimney etc by a Corgi engineer and it was OK. However, I do have a feeling it wasn't done properly. Since we hardly use it I may have gas disconnected and install an electric fire.

dont use him again then. he should have left that fire as at risk if theres a gap where you say. if it was obviously spilling combustion products from the gap its immediately dangerous. did he leave paperwork?

Sponsored Links
Yes he did. It was about a year ago. Mind you I do have a carbon monoxide detector near the fire - would that not go off it the fire was spilling out fumes? I'm a bit confused. Also if I decide to go for electric do I just get the the gas board to come in a disconnect the gas supply to the fire and board up the fire before sitting an electric suite in front of it? Any help appreciated.

did he say the fire was dangerous to use though? did he leave a label on the fire and a nasty letter saying it was dangerous?

any corgi reg'd engineer can remove your fire and gas pipe.

No he said the fire was fine.

But now I think I want rid of the gas fire and want to replace it with an electric one. What do I need to do?

well certainly dont use it.

get a corgi reg'd engineer in to check it and quote for removal. he may be able to repair the defects and get it safe.

if you are struggling to find a guy you trust then go by word of mouth.....office pals, family,friends.

Before you take the dicision to discard the gas fire, have you considered that if you have a boiler for other heating , and have to endure a power cut then you won't have a backup. Boilers don't work during an electricity cut- usually a gas fire will.
Just an idea I'm looking at myself.
Hope this helps.

Hang fire a minute (excuse the pun).....suddenly we can all diagnose a spilling fire without seeing it, or say the fire is fitted incorrecty without seeing it? I think spillage is unlikey due to the fact the carbon monoxide detector has not gone off but......

If its a year since it was last looked at its due a service. id call a Corgi registered gas installer and have it serviced and ask him regarding your options.

HarrogateGas said:
If its a year since it was last looked at its due a service. id call a Corgi registered gas installer and have it serviced and ask him regarding your options.

pretty much what has been said so far then

HarrogateGas said:
Yes but without making judgement based on fiction, not fact. Nor putting uncessary fear into the OP

where have i done that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back