What to do with not needed eath cable pendant light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,so we got a new pedant light that does not require a earth,where the old did.What is safest way of doing away with the earth cable?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
DO NOT CUT IT OFF

Put green and yellow sleeving over any exposed copper, fold it back, and leave it ready to be used if and when a metal lamp (which MUST be earthed) is fitted in future.

That's great thanks,yes we didn't want to cut it incase it might be needed in future. Its already got sleeving on it so could I just tape the exposed ends or is it best to sleeve them?

Sponsored Links
On closer look its two earth coming from ceiling but converted into one,still fine to go ahead?

Conect them in a connector block so you still have earths to the next light or switch and tape it up and push it out of the way.

Gosh this not as simple as I thought,right so I need to remove the one wire connection and connect the two from ceiling into connector block? Would a junction box do?

I assume then that the earth is needed to earth the other lights we have in room?

Thanks

You know what I mean by connector block? It's a little block you can buy a strip of them from b&q for about 50p.

It's not really that big of a job.

The earth wires will connect all the light on the circuit like ones in other rooms. And all the switches.

Yip have a connector block here but also had junction box so thought id ask

Use what ever you like really. I only said connector block as they are cheap and small.

I assume then that the earth is needed to earth the other lights we have in room?
Yes it is important to keep continuity of all earths at light fittings, switches and any junctions, even if the accessory does not require an earth and there is no provision to connect it.
As previous posts, sleeve green/yellow and connect together via a connector and leave safe and accessible.

Getting there,just worried about this earth,we have kept it as one rather than re converting back into two and connecting this cable into junction box?

Thanks again

Ideally the earth cables should be separate, but providing the two cables are terminated making good contact between the pair, then I wont lose any sleep, remember they must be left accessible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back