What to do with old cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A slightly odd question but someone may have an idea. I have a pallet load of large CSA single core cable in the old colours (brown, blue, yellow & black). It's a fairly substantial quantity including 7 reels of 25mm, 7 of 16mm, 14 of 10mm & a pile of 6mm, 4mm & 2.5mm.

Ebay seems pointless as even new reels in modern colours don't sell so it looks like unless there is an underground market for old jacket colour cable it's destined for the scrap merchant. Obviously stripped would get a better price than unstripped but that's a lot of cable to work through.

So, does anyone have any bright ideas of what to do with it or a recommendation for an automatic stripper? I've searched the forum & only found one thread that seems to be relevant & mentions a stripper from Wrights. Has anyone tried one of the cheaper units from ebay?

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Give ebay a go. You get some free listings these days.

Old colours go for more than new in T&E, however i'm not sure whether that applies to singles

Indeed, but as I observed, ¾ of his stock (assuming an even distribution of colours) are new colours.

Maybe he should look for a PVC dye which will turn the yellow cable brown :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Indeed, but as I observed, ¾ of his stock (assuming an even distribution of colours) are new colours.

Maybe he should look for a PVC dye which will turn the yellow cable brown :LOL:

Or paint a green stripe all the way down it... :LOL:

google electrical salvage, theres a few that may make you an offer by phone, though you might have to take it there

What cable size and what quantity comprises of the plain yellow wire?

There won't be much demand for that, may be worth scrapping that.

Is there a code like 6491X or similar or BS6231 on the coils, im wondering if this may be TRI RATED panel wiring cable, if it is then its worth a hell of a lot more to someone than for scrap

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back