what to do ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On the 1st of Nov 2007 i started out self-employed as a burglar alarm engineer, as that's all Ive done from i left school nearly 10 years ago. now in the past 2 months Ive spent a clean fortune on advertising and getting out on the ground letting people know i was doing my own thing, but to great disappointment Ive had very little work on & have failed to make a profit every week. another twist is that Ive just found out our first nipper is on the way :D as 3 years ago we were told it was impossible.

Now my old boss was in contact to say happy Christmas and that my old job was still available until 2nd of Jan 2008.

A. should i go back, sallow my pride and have a good income & piece of mind for the new year to support my wife and new baby ?

or

B. stick at self-employment and hope it picks up ?

my wife wants me to stick at self-employment and make it work... but i would rather go back to my old job and have a steady wage to look after my new expanding family. what would you do ? Ive only 6 days to decide.

Sponsored Links
Tough one, only you knows all the facts and circumstances ,so whatever advice you receive must be viewed from with that in mind.
For every new business that succeeds I believe that about 10 fail.
On the other hand your ex boss must rate you highly to offer to take you back on, so what are the possibilities for advancement.
I took a chance once and it didn't work, but I still had full time employment and was able to subsidise the business.
Best of luck whatever you decide.

You need security...go back

S/E is blinking (edited!) hard work!

my advice would be to do both.

take the old job back for the security, do your own business evenings and weekends until it builds up to warrant leaaving your full time, and then youve not wasted your advertising.

a lot of extra work but well worth it in the end.

its not a case of swallowing your pride, its jsut a case of being practicle.

Sponsored Links
Ive had very little work on & have failed to make a profit every week.

I think you have answered your own question. ;)

Best of luck and you can always do some jobs in your own time if your adverts generate anything. :D

my advice would be to do both.

take the old job back for the security, do your own business evenings and weekends until it builds up to warrant leaaving your full time, and then youve not wasted your advertising.

a lot of extra work but well worth it in the end.

its not a case of swallowing your pride, its jsut a case of being practicle.

Hmm, he really would be an understanding boss.

Do both but do it legit, go back as a contractor, one man alarm companies are dead ducks if your trying to set out now ( as yu`ve seen) but we cannot get enough contractors at all.

best of both worlds, best of both

Go back and get yourself qualified as a spark in your spare time. Then decide what you want to do.

yes hes a top bloke & the best boss you could ask for.

the main reason why i left was 9-10 hour days, 5 days a week for £320 home. NO paid over time just work to the jobs done, then maybe get home early some time... rarely happens.

that's why my wife doesnt want me to go back... i guess IL just have to convince her its the only way we can survive.

like i said in my first post i thought there would never be kids, so i kicked back and went s-e i thought any small income would cover me, as the wife has her job to keep things ticking. now with a baby on the way i feel as i need to provide for the future.

I'm in northern ireland located 35 mile south of Belfast.

i am going to try this approach, i will have a chat with my old boss this week and see if he will take me on again as "self-employed" at a similar rate of pay. then in a year or so, maybe start to change the working hours to suit my needs. at least this way i can retain some dignity.

can anybody think of any arguments he might throw up to get me back on the pay roll ? just so i can have a suitable answers to convince him, it would be better to have me back as self-employed.

If the hours you worked at the firm were too much then, you are going to find them very irritating once your baby is born as like most new fathers youll want to spend as much time with him/her and you might find the hours get you down.

The Alarm business is very competitive and you need the contacts to survive, you've hardly given it a chance, you may have to undercut your boss's firm in order to win work from him, you may find he's not so friendly with you after a while.

Ive not tried to under cut my old firm, simply because i still feel some kind of loyalty to them. as for everybody else in my area i have no mercy.

I'm in northern ireland located 35 mile south of Belfast.

i am going to try this approach, i will have a chat with my old boss this week and see if he will take me on again as "self-employed" at a similar rate of pay. then in a year or so, maybe start to change the working hours to suit my needs. at least this way i can retain some dignity.

can anybody think of any arguments he might throw up to get me back on the pay roll ? just so i can have a suitable answers to convince him, it would be better to have me back as self-employed.

none really - it`s an ideal situation for both of you, just make sure you do a few private jobs per month to keep the tax man from thinking your really an employee, we did it several years ago and never looked back, if the boss doesnt want to do it theres always ADT etc, you`ll certainly make more money subbing wherever you go to

good luck

today i called the old boss and asked him to take me on as self-employed and he accepted :D

he said he would have a look to see what way he could best finance it.

so now i need to know how much i need to ask per hour, day, week... etc he also said maybe about getting paid by the job ? so i am going to open a tread in "trade talk" as i haven't a clue what to ask for :rolleyes:

thanks for the feedback folks !

Sponsored Links
Back