What to measure from for depth of footings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I've started digging out. I only do this every few years and a couple of things have occurred to me. There is a Concrete slab there already. Can you measure from the top of that to get a metre depth? In some places its got hardcore under and in others there's a slab and paving stones on top. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
So I've started digging out. I only do this every few years and a couple of things have occurred to me. There is a Concrete slab there already. Can you measure from the top of that to get a metre depth? In some places its got hardcore under and in others there's a slab and paving stones on top. Cheers.
It's more about suitable bearing strata than the depth. If things don't look good after the first metre then you just have to go deeper.

You measure down from the lowest ground level and then its a level bottom from that point

Sponsored Links
You measure down from the lowest ground level and then its a level bottom from that point
Thanks.
A couple of things I've never questioned before. Is there a minimum depth of concrete for foundations and is it always gen1 for single storey and gen 3 for 2 storey?

Thanks.
A couple of things I've never questioned before. Is there a minimum depth of concrete for foundations and is it always gen1 for single storey and gen 3 for 2 storey?
I think the stipulated minimum is about 225mm. More common these days to mass fill in any case. It's more about the width of concrete v's the the thickness of the wall and the bearing strata. I've seen two storey houses built on 150mm concrete, but the ground is very good...

The minimum used to be 6 inches of concrete for regs, but generally 9 inches.was the standard on site when pegging out. This allowed for any differences in the trench level where the concrete may have been less than 6.
Working in deep trenchs is mainly a thing of the.past.

Thanks.
foto_no_exif (1).jpg

The concrete strength and depth for a one storey will suit a two-storey and potentially three-storey.

The practical minimum thickness of concrete from Part A is 150mm, but that would depend on being 100% certain of ground conditions throughout the whole trench, which most people CBAr'sed with. So most people just go for 225 instead - or more?

I think the stipulated minimum is about 225mm. More common these days to mass fill in any case. It's more about the width of concrete v's the the thickness of the wall and the bearing strata. I've seen two storey houses built on 150mm concrete, but the ground is very good...
I think we were told 225mm at bricklaying college about 20 years ago.
If you can have a look at a new thread in staff please do everyone. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back