What to paint first - plaster or wood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have just had my loft converted and have freshly plastered walls and ceiling with brand new woodwork (skirting boards, architrave etc.).

My question is what do I paint first? The fresh plaster or the new woodwork? Or does it not matter???!

All advice appreciated and many thanks for reading this message!

Sponsored Links
You can paint the walls with a roller quickly then fiddle about.
I think after the mist coat, I would prime & rub the wood, then finish the walls. Leave final coat on wood till the last.

Im only a DIYer

maybe just personal preference, but I always do finish coat on woodwork before the last coat on the walls - easier to get emulsion off dry gloss than gloss off of dry emulsion!

the order I would do it in for a blank canvas such as your room:
- mist coat ceiling and walls
- finish coat(s) for ceiling
- woodwork (base coats and finish coats) - gives you a break whilst it dries!
- walls last - just being careful with the amount of paint on the roller so that it doesn't splash the ceiling.

just an amaturs point of view though, I'm sure the pro's on here will have the right way to do it :!:

Thanks for your prompt replies DIYisfun and str.

str - you have made a good point about painting the last coat at the end after the final woodwork coat! I will take it on board.

Thanks again!!

Sponsored Links
maybe just personal preference, but I always do finish coat on woodwork before the last coat on the walls - easier to get emulsion off dry gloss than gloss off of dry emulsion!

The correct way is finish all your walls and gloss last, being that you cut skirting and architrave into the walls. The only thing I agree on is you undercoat first if you wish. If you happen to get gloss on the wall, it wipes away easy enough, unless you let it dry, in which case you are a bit silly.

the order I would do it in for a blank canvas such as your room:
- mist coat ceiling and walls
- finish coat(s) for ceiling
- woodwork (base coats and finish coats) - gives you a break whilst it dries!
- walls last - just being careful with the amount of paint on the roller so that it doesn't splash the ceiling.

just an amaturs point of view though, I'm sure the pro's on here will have the right way to do it :!:

Whether the trim in your house is made of plaster or wood or some other synthetic product that is paintable, remember to take your time and do a good job. If you need touse blue masking tape to help paint a straight line, then by all means do so. Be diligent when it comes to observing your own work and note your strong points and your not so strong points as well, and try to strengthen areas where you are weak and exploit areas where you are strong. There is no one way to paint and you are encourage to find your own technique and develop your own fundamentals so that you can become comfortable painting the way you like to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back