What to seal SWA into brick with?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

figured this was best in the building section as it involves bricks, rather than electrical! As part of an extension, we had the builders / electricians run Steel Wire Armoured (SWA) electrical cable to the garage.
The SWA enters the house about 12" off the garden level but they just drilled a muckle great hole and stuck the cable through.

I'm perhaps exaggerating; the hole is roughly the diameter of the cable, but it's unfinished on the exterior brickwork.

We have a bunch of snagging to get through, though nothing serious and I was thinking that I would just seal this up myself rather than get them back to do it.

What do you think I should use? Some kind of external silicon seal?

Cheers
Scott

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You're a gent. And back to you, old chap!

We could keep this mutual appreciation thing going for quite some time, I think.... :mrgreen:

You're a gent. And back to you, old chap!

We could keep this mutual appreciation thing going for quite some time, I think.... :mrgreen:

Indeed we could, but lets not take the urine!
I am sure there will be other occasions in the future, when appreciation can be shown to each other via the thanks button.

You can certainly get silicone fillers in different colours.

An alternative might be the non or slow setting mastics that window/door fitters used to use back in the days when a proper job was the norm.

Whenever my sparky has run SWA cable, he's always run it into a junction box before going down to standard cable internally. The junction boxes are all watertight etc for the connection to be safe.

It's just occurred to me today that these cables normally have some kind of shield over them as they enter the wall, don't they?

Had a quick google but I'm not getting the search term right.

mate there's loads

google - weatherproof junction box

Cheers - it's not a junction box I'm looking for it's "capping" or similar - found an old thread on here where someone else describes it perfectly as;

"like a sturdy plastic semi circle tube with with flat edges and is used to cover cables running up walls" (//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=189466)

Unfortunately, the item linked to in that page is no longer available so I've got a better description but still don't know exactly what it's called.

Now i'm curious!!!

Do you mean electrical conduit?

Nope. Err yes. Err nope. I don't think so.

I wonder whether it's Sky installers that use what I have in my hazy mind... Imagine a piece of round conduit, cut lengthways so the cross section is an open semi-circle, with flat edges that can be screwed to the wall.

At the top, it's a full circle to cover the cable as it goes into the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back