what to use bottom of window to bridge the cavity?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am helping my mother in law by doing up her bathroom and have removed all the tiles to find a really rough piece of wood about 1inch thick. When I say rough I mean it has no edges, it is like someone snapped a piece of wood in half and used that, it does have a flat top but they have just filled or used tile adhesive (cant be sure what it is) to make an edge, which they then tiled over. it goes up to not under the double glazing from what I can see.

It is hard to tell as it is so rough and covered in adhesive etc but it could have been the old bullnose window cill which someone may have snapped the front off so they could create a tiled window cill.

My question is what should it be, you do get wooden window cills from what I have seen which I presume bridge the cavity, but I have also seen someone use plasterboard before.

What I am concerned about is damp etc, ie is there any risk of any kind of problem or can you use what you like within reason, ie if it is ok I could leave the timber in place and just patch up ready for tiling.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
leave it as is as long as your happy the tiles will bond to it. No need to worry about damp as long as the side reveals and outer cill are contsucted properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back