What to use to drill hole in wall for soil pipe and how?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

As part of my ongoing ensuite project, I need to drill a hole through my wall for the new 110mm soil branch and shower/sink waste.

I guess I need some kind of core drill but not sure of the type or the size I should use. Ideally something not too expensive as I will only need it the once.

The wall is 2 rows of concrete blocks, rendered on the outside.

Do I buy one that is 110mm or should I get a bigger one?

I was thinking I could drill a pilot hole from the inside out to get the position right, then drill the main hole outside in to keep the mess outside?

Sponsored Links
hire a diamond core drill and core ;)

120mm_diamond_core_drill_dc120va.jpg

120mm bit :idea:

you can hire a clutch drill and core bit from a local tool hire shop.The diameter of the bit needed will have to be enough to accept the socket if your going to put a 90 degree elbow outside or a tee into wall.

ah cool, i didn't know you could hire the actual drill bits as well!

i was planning the pipe to go through the wall into an equal branch then straight down, so I guess i will need to allow for the socket as well.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
If the socket is going to fit into wall as well, then use a 150mm diamond bit

i was once told by a helpful diynot member that if you're drilling a hole in an outside wall you should drill on a very slight downward angle to keep any rainwater out.

makes sense is spose but ive never drilled a hole that big in and outside wall.

Be careful if you're drilling from outside up a ladder. Even with the clutch core drilling machines have got quite a kick.

drill from the inside using a drill with hoover attachment if you want to keep the dust down, absolute no-no using one of these from a ladder, always minimise risk of injury or fall, use ladder to fit pipe and pipeclips not to drill the hole when you can work from inside then clean up

i was once told by a helpful diynot member that if you're drilling a hole in an outside wall you should drill on a very slight downward angle to keep any rainwater out.

makes sense is spose but ive never drilled a hole that big in and outside wall.

There's a fall 'built in' to most soil fittings - bends are usually 92.5 degrees or thereabouts, so just follow that fall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back