What to use to fill hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Apologies for another what is probably an obvious question but please could someone advise on what’s best to use to fill this gap around the door?

The plaster was pretty much like sand nearest the door but I’ve sorted the issue that caused it. The gap is about 15mm deep. Should I fill it with something then use a silicone sealer around the door frame?

The remaining plaster is rock solid and appears in good order apart from the mould.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3819.jpeg
    IMG_3819.jpeg
    449.7 KB · Views: 33
Sponsored Links
I'd use easifill to fill the hole in the plaster and then when that's in and sanded flat i'd use flexible cauk to fill the gap between the filler and the door frame.

As a decorator, I respectfully disagree with @Lower . Sorry @Lower ...

Easifill has little to no cement in it. If it gets wet, it becomes soft. The mould suggests that there are possibly problems with condensation.

A cement based filler such as Toupret will not break down if the surface becomes moist.

Easifill, you can wipe the stuff off with a sponge the following day. You can't do that with cement based fillers.

IMO, Easifill has its place but it is often used inappropriately. It is very cheap and is very easy to sand- those are the best things that I can say about it- I seldom use it.

Sponsored Links
If it were me, i would open up that crack, up and down the window frame and squirt expanding foam in there. Then, cut back and fill. You may have cold getting around the window frame causing condensation / damp.

Thanks. Yes, condensation was a big issue but measures are now in place to prevent it being a problem. Never thought about expanding foam, I was going to use one of the polyfilla type ‘deep fillI’ ones.

As a decorator, I respectfully disagree with @Lower . Sorry @Lower ...

Easifill has little to no cement in it. If it gets wet, it becomes soft. The mould suggests that there are possibly problems with condensation.

A cement based filler such as Toupret will not break down if the surface becomes moist.

Easifill, you can wipe the stuff off with a sponge the following day. You can't do that with cement based fillers.

IMO, Easifill has its place but it is often used inappropriately. It is very cheap and is very easy to sand- those are the best things that I can say about it- I seldom use it.
No need to apologise. I’ve just learnt something :)

Thanks. Yes, condensation was a big issue but measures are now in place to prevent it being a problem. Never thought about expanding foam, I was going to use one of the polyfilla type ‘deep fillI’ ones.

The expanding foam is a good call, I hadn't noticed the gap between the uPVC and plaster.

Run some masking tape along the uPVC first (to protect it). Then mist the area with water, it helps both adhesion and curing times.

If you use a tad to much foam, it won't be a problem. You can cut away the excess (undercutting slightly as you go- to enable more filler in).

I try to ensure that I have a can of foam remover with me, just in case. Acetone however will clean up any mess.

Assuming that you don't have a foam gun, try to buy the Great Stuff minimal expanding foam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back