Filling deepish hole in brick wall

ODB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I had a pipe repaired that was inset into a brick wall and as a result I have a 25cm x 15cm x 10cm deep hole with a pipe running down the middle in the kitchen.

I asked the plumber what I should fill it with and he suggested not using foam as plaster wouldn't stick to it very well. I do remember someone suggesting I use 3 parts of x and 1 part z to use it to fill the big hole (as I had some plastering bags left over) but I can't remember what the mix was.

Can anyone suggest what I should fill this deep hole with? I intend to plaster over the top of it to make good.

As always, many thanks for any help!!!

Sponsored Links
thistle bonding, thistle browning or good ole sand/cement (mortar/render).

you may have to apply in two coats or more because of slumping.

Wow! Thanks for the quick response!

I'm assuming I just mix it up with water until it's like thick porridge and just slap it in, but, you know, using several thin(ish) layers at a time?

What about that 'prompt' stuff...the quick drying cement (do they still make that?)

Good gear and it dried very quickly.

Sponsored Links
Think I've got half a bag of that Thistle stuff. If I find my camera I'll do a 'before' and 'after'!!

It's my project for the day according to the gf.

Before:

...a bit bigger than I remember it...

p1010062ni0.jpg

dampen the area with water first. fill it in layers. don't use thistle finishing plaster only bonding or browning.

haven't you created a pressure bottleneck reducing the pipe like that?

That pipe should be taped up or sleeved first....not just laid bare.

Darren

As Darren7 says, 'that pipe should be taped up or sleeved first . . .' I've just bought a house and found a hug crack in a bedroom wall. When you put your hand to it, it feels warm and I've realised it's because the central heating pipe vents up to the roof behind the wall. I haven't investigated yet, but I'd assume there's nothing to stop the heat getting into the plaster. I'll be fixing that. Easier to do now before you do your repair!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back