what to use with breeze blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to brick up two chimneys and can not be asked to do it all with bricks as they are rather large, so I want to use breeze blocks. Problem is, I never seem to be able to make the mortar stick properly on these things. What should I use? Any primer or pre-treatment?

Sponsored Links
Remove back boiler unit and 2 fires. Great big hole left that needs blocking up so I can hang radiators on.

Need to brick up two chimneys and can not be asked to do it all with bricks as they are rather large, so I want to use breeze blocks.
Blocks are bigger than bricks! :confused:
Problem is, I never seem to be able to make the mortar stick properly on these things. What should I use? Any primer or pre-treatment?
This shouldn't be a problem, did you add water to the mortar mix? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
we sometimes damp bricks and blocks down if they are excessively dry.

use a plasticiser in the mortar and 'beat it up' with the mixer or shovel.

it will make for a better mix.

Need to brick up two chimneys and can not be asked to do it all with bricks as they are rather large

Was referring to the size of the holes that need filling. Even plumbers know that bricks are smaller than blocks. Well, some of us anyway. Okay, only a few.

we sometimes damp bricks and blocks down if they are excessively dry.

use a plasticiser in the mortar and 'beat it up' with the mixer or shovel.

it will make for a better mix.

tried the trick with damping the blocks, but still not particualrly strong bond.

what exactly do you mean by "beat it up"? i use a paddle mixer with a drill at about 500 rpm.
i add water until it is wet enough to stick together but not thin enough to pour.

As has been mentioned before on this forum Ben,the correct mixing of mortar is a skill, which the mix and consitency of the mortar will vary according to the job.Just making mortar "wetter"will not make a good mortar for building bricks/blocks or rendering.It needs a PLASTICISER added to the water."Febmix" springs to mind.This product not only cuts down on the amount of water needed,but more importantly,it adds "microscopic air bubbles"into the mortar,and makes it "buttery".The term "beat it up" means just that.If using a cement mixer to make a batch of mortar,(the best way to mix) the blades and the rotation of the drum,with plasticiser added to the water,will put air into the mix as it turns and throws the mortar around.If you are mixing by hand,then to get a good "airy buttery"mix,you have to work the shovel very hard,turning the mix over,cut the back of the shovel through the mix,lift it up,turn it over again and again,(you're trying to copy what the mixer is doing),as Noseall said, "beat it up."It takes a long time.I've never used a paddle mixer/drill at 500 rpm's to mix mortar,so I can't comment on the result,but you can overmix mortar. I think if you use a plasticiser in the water and a paddle mixer/drill at 500rpm's, that will overmix it and turn it into a whipped up froth,(overmixed,IMO) which would be of little use.For the best results,I would use a cement mixer, or mix well and work it hard by shovel, on a board or in a wheel-barrow.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back