what type is it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just pulled up the parquet floor im my living room assumming that it was an oak wood block floor,after handling the floor it is easy to see that it is definately not oak(wishful thinking)
C an any body hazard a guess as to what type it would be from my poor description provided.
the house is 1920 and floor looks original, the blocks are about 21mm thick, they are not tongue and grooved, there are no visible knots in the wood but they do feel quite light.
They do look quite like a form of pine from the bottom where there is no bitumen but did they make woodblock floor out of pine?

cheers paul
ps thanks for the reply to previous question ' would'

Sponsored Links
unfortunatly i don t have the soft ware for my camera to load the pics on to my computer but might take it to a local joiners shop by me to see if they can be of any help.
I have been removing the bitumen from the blocks today and sanded a couple of blocks down and they do look like some sort of pine , on one of the other posts i noticed a site that was selling PITCH PINE woodblock (£30 m2) could they possibly be this type, what is the difference between normal pine and pitch pine.
How durable will this type of flooring be we have had it covered for 10 years with a carpet so not sure how it will stand up to familly running around on it .

any advice greatly received

Sponsored Links
bosch67 said:
what is the difference between normal pine and pitch pine.
How durable will this type of flooring be we have had it covered for 10 years with a carpet so not sure how it will stand up to familly running around on it .

any advice greatly received

Found this site about usage of Pitch Pine (pine tree from Northern America/Canada)
Pine is a softwood, so can dent more easily then hardwood (like Oak etc), but pine floorboards were used all over the place for decennia's so why not give it a try?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back