What type of cable needed to connect an external sounder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been converting a single storey barn for some years now, and as I haven't been able to chose which security alarm system to buy I've run the cables for the sensors etc throughout the building ready for when I do eventually make a decision.

The final cable I need to install is for the external sounder/bell box. I'm guessing that the cable runs directly from the internal alarm system box, can anybody please tell me what type of cable I need to use?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If you've already got 8-core, it's not an issue - nothing wrong with spare cores, but if you're using screened cable (and I never have - can't think why I would) you only actually need 4-core for the bellbox.

Probably use the screen for neg hold-off. Or maybe pozzy hold-off. Don't suppose it'd make any difference.

At right angles across, NOT, in parallel.

ps

What have you done with the Screen, both ends?

So far all I've done is run 8 core screened cable to four areas of the house, all parallel cable runs are at least 600mm from mains cables with minimal crossings. Nothing is connected yet as I can't decide which alarm system to install. I'd like to run another cable to an adjacent workshop rather than install two separate alarms, and I read somewhere that with some systems you can isolate zones - so that I could have the sensors in the workshop live at night while the sensors in the house are inactive.

You can isolate zones in (probably) every panel on the market.
What you're most likely referring to is some panels give you the choice of having 'wards' which are groups of zones that can be configured so in effect each ward can be (almost) considered a different system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back